When you go to download a file from the web you see a download dialog with a
progress bar. Would you prefer that when you want to download ,say, a 50 MB
zip file (which will take more than a second or two) off the internet that
it follow the workflow you describe?

The fact that the Excel spreadsheet is generated dynamically is an internal
detail. Again, we're talking about a download that takes a few minutes and
not hours. Why should the end user go about a different workflow to download
a file?