I have a small spread sheet that looks like this in psedo-cvs format:
  ,abc
  ,abc
  ,abc
  ,abc
=countif(A1:A4,"Pass"),=A5

The formulas in the last row are, of course, not valid CVS.

If I create this spread sheet in Excel 2000 and run the code below,
it works find.

        String fileName = "input2000.xls";
        String outName = "output.xls";
        String sheetName = "Sheet1";
        int rowNum = 1;
        short colNum = 0;
        String result = "Pass";
        POIFSFileSystem fs =
                new POIFSFileSystem(new FileInputStream(fileName));
        HSSFWorkbook wb = new HSSFWorkbook(fs);
        HSSFSheet sheet = wb.getSheet(sheetName);
        HSSFRow row = sheet.getRow(rowNum);
        HSSFCell cell = row.getCell(colNum);
        HSSFRichTextString val = new HSSFRichTextString(result);
        cell.setCellValue(val);
        FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(outName);
        wb.write(out);
        out.close();

But if I create this spread sheet in Excel 2003 and run the above
code, then the formulas are not updated in the output.xls file when
I open it. There is no error indication, but the counts show zero.
If I select each formula and hit return, then it will recompute
the correct value.

I am using poi-3.0-alpha3-20061212.jar file.

Is anyone aware of this problem? Does anyone know a work around.

Serena