On Wed, 30 May 2007, bastian wrote:
I have been using POI to import Excel files for long, I have my own library built on top of POI and now I need to import Excel 2007 Files. I couldn't find a better place than this one to ask this question and since the original post is good I didn't want to open a new one.

You could try openxml4j (http://sourceforge.net/projects/openxml4j/), but I don't think they're quite at the stage of doing read/write of excel yet (I think they're still on the container format stage).

The guys behind it are really friendly though, and they seem keen on the idea of POI and openxml4j developing a common excel api (probably much like the poi usermodel), so it's easier for people to switch between the libraries. They're hoping to start talking to us about that once they've got their next beta out.

As for POI, I don't know of any of the developers having plans to implement ooxml support to it. As Andy said last week (might've been on -dev), if someone wants to add the support to poi, we will give them help. If an existing ooxml java project wants to join us, we'll give it serious thought.

Nick