On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 05:24:12PM +0200, Cami Sardinha wrote:
> It used to be done via the cleanup script, but people complained.
>
> Doing it in real-time has the advantage of .. well .. being real
> time without so many delays within the duration of cleanup -> cleanup.

There have already been AUTO_WHITELIST_NUMBER of delays in the meantime.
I assume the number of delays in the cleanup interval will usually not
compare to that.

> Some companies have heavily loaded databases so in order to minimize
> downtime they run the cleanup script weekly.

In case you're only using whitelisting+greylisting (as we are, ATM), doing
the auto-whitelisting asynchronously takes aways 1/3rd of the queries for
each policyd request.

Granted, the cleanup run will be heavier, but those can be scheduled in
off-peak hours.

> I guess if there was a demand for it, it could be user-configurable.
> Patches will be accepted if there is a demand for it.

Alternatively, the deletes of auto-whitelisted triplets could be postponed
to the cleanup script?

> Cami

        Geert