On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Eric W. Bates wrote:

> Voytek Eymont wrote:
>> Hi, a dumb Q:
>>
>> I have policyd with postfix, works good, many thanks
>>
>> I have a user just now complained he didn't receive inbound email from
>> '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
>>
>> looking at postfix logs, I can see 'thisdoamin.tld' only made 1 attempt,
>> that was correctly refused by policyd;
>>
>> somehow, the remote server has NOT made a re-delivery attempt;
>
> This is the sad out-of-control aspect of greylisting. Some machines are
> poorly configured. It is probably the case that the server in question
> is having more and more trouble delivering mail.
>
>> looking at previous history for same sender, seems, same happended on
>> previous ocassion from '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
>>
>> what's my best option to ensure deivery from '[EMAIL PROTECTED]',
>> enter it in whitelist ? which whitelist ?
>
> There are 3 whitelists. I usually put my personal edits in
> 'whitelist_dnsname' simply because I think it is more legible for me
> down the road (why the hell is that in there?)
>
>> also, can I manually increment "_count" in triplet for one-off 'speed up'
>
> Sure.  But it will likely get expired out of the table eventually; so
> it's not really a permanent solution.
>

> --
> Eric W. Bates
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The only caveat with whitelists for recipients is that if you bypass
policyd altogether (and otherwise, have no backup mechanism such as
postfix' "anvil"), you run the risk of destinations you do trust getting
huge numbers of messages in the event they are targeted.  How open you
want to leave yourself depends on how much you trust your recipients to
not be victimized.  I've seen this happen with things like mass-mailings
where the bounce went back to the sender and the sender apparently had no
idea there were so many "bad" addresses in the list.  You can, of course,
throttle recipient receiving rates via postfix, for example.  Finally, I
imagine it's also a question of how much overhead is saved by not
whitelisting certain destinations.

--Tobias