On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Tobias Kreidl wrote:

> You didn't mention what your retention times were for the triplets,
> etc.

AUTO_WHITELIST_EXPIRE=14d
TRIPLET_TIME=3s
TRIPLET_AUTH_TIMEOUT = 14d
TRIPLET_UNAUTH_TIMEOUT = 1d

Whitelist expire didn't reach the limit (since we had to completely
clean the database last week), so the expire doesn't take any time.

> You might try cutting the expiration limits down to be no more than
> about twice the limit value (so, say, 4 hours and 2 hours).  We get
> over 1 M messages a day and even though my DBs grow to as much as 50
> MB in size with close to 200k entries for some tables (like
> throttle_from_instance), the cleanup operation is very fast (I run
> it hourly).  How many rows do you have in your biggest tables?

The triplet table currently contains 5.5M entries and every hour ~250k
entries are expired.  Without maintenance this took some minutes now.
So I tried a "mysqlcheck -r" on the database (which took only two
minutes) and after this cleanup runs much faster.

> You also didn't mention what version of mySQL DB you were running.

5.0.51a

> Is this for polixyd 1.8x or 2.x ?  If it's for 2.x, sorry, all I've
> written above probably won't help address your issues.

1.8.2

But in the meantime I fear that something may be wrong with the
caching of this machine (still trying what happens), because vmstat
shows heavy traffic on the disk nearly for a minute after cleanup
finished.  Also the syslog output is broken, because the timestamps
are created by syslogd, which writes to disk nearly a minute after the
event happened (had to patch cleanup, now it writes its own timestamps
to the log instead of syslog).

But the RAID controller is configured to do "write back" and
everything looks good (except the IO performance)...
I hate hardware...

Tschoeeee

        Roland