On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 01:30:11PM -0400, Marshal Newrock wrote:
> I've been using policyd-weight on a busy server for a week with no
> problems.  Last night, while checking the logs, I saw a small handful
> of messages (about five) saying connection refused by policyd-weight,
> indicating to me that I had used up the number of available processes.

You should have a log-message "main: MAX_PROC (150) reached".
However, > 100 is huge. What's the average mail/hour (or mail/minute) this
server has to handle?
What is the average delay when a client connects to an smtpd and policyd-weight
answers?

> So I increased $MAX_PROCS from 150 to 200, and $MIN_PROCS from 10 to
> 20, and issued "policyd-weight reload".  At the same time, I increased
> the maximum number of smtpd processes for postfix from 200 to 300, as
> it also had indicated it had run out of available processes.  After
> this, policyd-weight no longer works.

[...]

> When it is started, and 'ps aux | grep policyd-weight' run, sometimes
> it simply doesn't show up at all, or only the cache will show up.
> Sometimes the master will show up with no child processes.  While it is
> running, if it manages to start, sometimes it will successfully work,
> but frequently postfix reports "warning: premature end-of-input on
> 127.0.0.1:12525 while reading input attribute name".
>
> I have tried restoring $MAX_PROCS and $MIN_PROCS to their default
> values, but there is no change.  I also set $DEBUG=1 but got no extra
> logging.

As you are running Gentoo, which log files did you check. Gentoo might send
debug messages to /var/log/debug.log

# date > debug-pr.txt 2>&1
# /path/to/policyd-weight -k restart >> debug-pr.txt 2>&1
# echo "/path/to/policyd-weight -k restart -- done" >> debug-pr.txt 2>&1
# bash
# grep "weight\[" /var/log/mail.log /var/log/debug.log >> debug-pr.txt 2>&1
# exit

(that bash call is to make sure that no zsh is used. zsh does sometimes so some
weird globbing or escapes meta-chars where it shouldn't escape them)

--
    Robert Felber (PGP: 896CF30B)
    Munich, Germany