Unfortunately, the enthusiastic push for better internet security with
https is breaking cacheability. None of the people serving this content
care, because traffic is one of their metrics for success, and they can
cache right up to their boundary by terminating the ssl at their edge, so
they don't care if it's non-cachable beyond there. Companies like Google
"solve" the caching problem by just pushing their "edge" further and
further out, owning more and more of the internet infrustructure between
customers and their servers.

I've been considering trying to create an unholy chimera by duct-taping
polipo and https://mitmproxy.org/ together with Python to fix this.

I'm getting sick of the 5 different android devices in the house insisting
on downloading all the firmware and app updates 5x over https. This was
particularly bad when I was briefly connected using stupidly expensive 4G
and found the android devices had significantly contributed to exhausting
my 5GB pre-paid quota in less than 2 days.

Things like mitmproxy are pretty bad from a security perspective, but
unfortunately that's the only way to work around this. Unfortunately the
push for more security is working on breaking them too. Cert-pinning is the
"magic solution" to breaking on-the-fly cert generation used by mitmproxy,
and it's already starting to appear in chrome etc. Not sure how easy it's
going to be to work around.

Donovan Baarda <a...@minkirri.apana.org.au>