>  'Connect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 failed: Connection timed out'

> The IP always is the external IP from the local machine. None of
> the machines runs an internet-faced web server (strictly 127.0.0.1),
> so I do get the timed out part of the log entree.

> My question is rather, why is polipo trying to connect to the
> external IP at all?

Likely because the client told it to.

Probably a buggy PHP script, that uses the client address where it meant
to use the server address, or some rogue Javascript that tries to attack
a local web server in the hope of avoiding a firewall.

You can avoid the issue by blacklisting your local addresses (using the
forbidden mechanism in Polipo).

-- Juliusz