Findley and Ball are both referenced in Abboud's book.  In fact, the
introduction is based on a quote by Findley.  Abboud is the only 'Arab
American' to write about Israel's impact on US media, politics, and culture.
Strongly suggest you read before condemning him as 'antisemitic.' I consider
George Ball to be one of the greatest American historians of our time He was
politically lynched for his work, as was Findley, according to Abboud.

A quick analysis of a chapter of Invisible Enemy is floating around the
internet as a PDF file, and may help:

http://www.voxpublishing.com/IE/ConspiracyChapter.pdf

Please advise if there is anything you see in it that strikes you as
antisemitic.

Sean McBride <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The critique of the Israel lobby long predated Edward Abboud.  See, for
instance,

  Findley, Paul (1986) They Dare to Speak Out: People and Institutions Confront
Israel's Lobby (Lawrence Hill)

  and

  Ball, George W. and Douglas B. Ball (1992) The Passionate Attachment:
America's Involvement With Israel, 1947 to the Present (W.W. Norton)

  I haven't read Edward Abboud, and I don't want to prejudge him, but I get the
*vibe* from him that his writings, like those of Dick Eastman, *may* cross the
line into classical hardcore anti-Semitism.  Unless anti-Semites are called out
for their offenses, loudly and clearly, no progress will be made in addressing
and correcting the excesses of the Israel lobby.  Anti-Semites like Dick
Eastman are muddying the waters, providing the Israel lobby with the means to
discredit all their critics.

  Anti-Semitism, like all forms of bigotry and prejudice, is above all a
manifestation of rank stupidity and intellectual laziness expressed by slackers
who lack the industry and discipline to do their homework.

  It is true that militant supporters of Israel often use the anti-Semitism
smear  unfairly against their critics.  It is also true that there are real and
dangerous anti-Semites in the world.  Navigating this mess requires much more
patience and caution than most of us can muster.  What's required to get it all
sorted out are authentic Jewish values of truthseeking and justice.

Albert Underwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
      YOu wrote:

>>> It started with Mearsheimer and Walt's scathing critique of AIPAC's
>>> influence on US politics,>>

No, it started, as  most ideas that eventually make it iintno mainstream media
that otherwise would not, with a writer so hevily supporesed that you haven't
even heard of him.  Mearsheimer and Walt haven't said anything that Edward
Abboud didn't say in 1997 in Invisible Enemy: Israel, Politics, Media, and
American Culture.  The book was suppressed by all channels of MSM, but many
people read it.  Esward Said, for example, was one of the original reviewers of
the IE manuscript. He never referenced it in his later texts, and never
mentioned MSM until years after his review of Invisible Enemy. Noam Chomsky was
also an early reviewer of the manuscript, and now uses the language expressed
in it as if he invented it himself -- even while the book quotes from other
Chomsky texts. Chris Matthews, the MSM talk show host, regularly makes
distinctions between 'conspiracy' and 'conspiracy theories not worthy of
forensic analysis' with language almost identical to Edward Abboud in
 Invisible  Enemy. Like the person standing in the forest who can't see the
trees, you don't see the impact of the work of Edward Abboud because it has
been suppressed. Only the advent of the Internet and electronic publishing
allowed the book a small window of opportunity to the world, and so while
suppressed, the book andn its ideas escaped into the common social
consciousness.

Sean McBride <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I agree that in many cases references to "Zionist control" are coming from
Nazi zealots, like Dick Eastman, who are dusting off the propaganda memes
developed by Adolf Hitler.

  But it is also true that Zionists themselves refer to themselves as Zionists
(Zionism is their chosen ideology, after all), and that Zionists  exert a great
deal of influence in American politics and in the American mainstream media
that many Americans find to be destructive and contrary to the best interests
of Americans as a whole.  A particular branch of militant Zionists
(neoconservatives), led in part by >>the ZOA (the Zionist Organization of
America)<< is responsible for the $2-trillion foreign policy disaster in Iraq
and for the assault on the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights.

  So one must take great care to approach this volatile subject with the utmost
precision.  Above all one must be very careful not to associate "the Jews" with
Zionists or to blame Zionists exclusively for misdeeds that have also been
committed by many other non-Zionist and non-Jewish groups.

  With regard to Sam Zell: will he attempt to turn his media  properties into
Likud/neocon propaganda outlets?  Simple content analysis will provide the
answer to that question over the next year or so.

  With regard to the free Internet: a cabal of multibillionaires -- the same
cabal which presently controls the mainstream media -- is presently plotting to
overthrow the free Internet and transform it into yet another version of Rupert
Murdoch's Fox News.  Does my language sound too conspiratorial, too over the
top?  Well, I am describing reality as it is.

  What will happen?  That's a no-brainer: these folks are setting themselves up
to be regarded as the most vile villains in American history.  It boggles my
mind that they don't know when to put a brake on their greed gland.  They are
going much too far and are going to trigger a cataclysmic backlash.  The
rumblings of the coming earthquake are everywhere.  They may well end up losing
every penny of their fortunes.  Picture Mikhail Khodorkovsky.

  History teaches us, for all the obvious reasons, that it is never a smart
idea, a politic idea, for any particular group to horde and abuse too much
wealth.  Eventually the offending group discovers the limits of its control and
may lose everything.

LeaNder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
      Somehow the idea of a Zionist control of MSM feels too close to Nazi
propaganda for me. As the term "wake up" (used in the link below) triggers Nazi
imagery for me, innocent as it may be.

But I agree or maybe hope that Zell will fail if he tries this (thanks to
Sean's Google Reader)

Zell wants End to Web's Free Ride

Sam Zell is going to loose billions

A couple of decades ago I thought if people like Zell  had their way the web
would soon turn into a strictly economical affair. All gates would be closed
and only open via credit card details. That's what it looked like, but it did
not happen.

this feeling has been growing lately so it had to come out before I leave again.

--- In political-research@yahoogroups.com, Albert Underwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> [...]
> A spokesperson for Aipac said the group will not comment on Soros�s remarks.
> An argument echoing Soros�s was posted a day later on the popular Web site
> Salon, in an article titled �Can American Jews unplug the Israel lobby?�
> The writer, Gary Kamiya, called on American Jews to �stand up and say
> �not in my name�,� and to challenge the notion that Aipac�s views are
> representative of the broader Jewish community.
> Less pointed, but far more widely circulated, was a critique of American
> policymaking published Sunday by New York Times opinion columnist Nicholas
> Kristof. The much-decorated journalist, famous for his determined coverage of
> the Darfur genocide, argued that American politicians have �muzzled
> themselves� when  it comes to Israel and that �there is no serious
> political debate among either Democrats or Republicans about our policy
> toward Israelis and Palestinians.�
> Both Kristof and Soros compared America�s Middle East policy discussion
> unfavorably with the lively debate in Israel over the government�s policy.
> Both claimed that while Israelis feel free to criticize their government and
> question its policies, American politicians are afraid to take it on.
> The Economist, the internationally respected British newsweekly, summed up
> Friday in a prescient article the �changing climate� facing the
> pro-Israel lobby. It mentioned challenges to Aipac from Arab Americans,
> liberal Jews and foreign-policy experts worried about America�s standing in
> the Arab world. �America needs an open debate about its role in the Middle
> East and Aipac needs to take a positive role in this debate if it is to
> remain such a mighty force in American politics,� the article  concluded.
> This burst of criticism against the Israel lobby and its role in the shaping
> of American policy toward Israel was immediately met by critical articles
> from supporters of Aipac and of America�s pro-Israel policies.
> A Monday editorial in the New York Sun was the harshest of all. It compared
> Soros�s and Kristof�s criticisms to the so-called blood libels directed
> against Jews in medieval Europe. �The fact is that they write at a time
> when a war against the Jews is underway,� the Sun wrote. �It is a war in
> which the American people have stood with Israel for three generations� The
> reason is that Americans are wise enough to understand which side in the war
> against the Jews shares our values � and to sort out the truth from the
> libels.�
> You're damned straight.
> And the first libel they're bound to figure out is the libel that people who
> condemn israel condemn Jews for no reason - it's a lie.
> Our problem is not  with Jews per se, but with the political ideology that
> insists that they can kill with impunity to maintain a so-called "purely
> Jewish state," even though many - if not most - of the so-called "Jews" who
> live there are neither semitic nor do they believe in God.

  Need Mail bonding?

 Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.