Cohen is an MSM lifer -- funny how he's trying to be hip by writing for
'salon.com-- and MSM supports the administration these days. Always suspicious
of Jews in MSM doing 'brilliant' exposes of everything they can latch onto as
potential news -- ignoring the elephant on the beltway.

Sean McBride <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                                  [MSM
"journalists" sure as hell aren't "liberal" or "conservative" -- they are the
corrupt hirelings of a small cabal of crony plutocrats.  Nice and cozy and so
very tribal and incestuous.  And they are terrified of the Internet and of any
regime of authentic American-style free speech which challenges them.]

[neocon plutocrats > Donald Graham > Washington Post > Richard Cohen > Lewis
Libby supporters]

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2007/06/19/cohen/index.html

Glenn Greenwald
Salon.com
Tuesday June 19, 2007 07:50 EST

Richard Cohen's brilliant (and unintentional) exposé of our media

Richard Cohen's Washington Post column this morning is a true tour de force in
explaining the function of our Beltway media stars. Cohen's column -- which
grieves over the grave and tragic injustice brought down upon Lewis "Scooter"
Libby -- should be immediately laminated and placed into the Smithsonian
History Museum as an  exhibit which, standing alone, will explain so much about
what happened to our country over the last six years. It is really that good.

One could write media criticisms for the next several years and not come close
to capturing the essence of our Beltway media the way Cohen did in this single
paragraph:

"With the sentencing of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Fitzgerald has apparently
finished his work, which was, not to put too fine a point on it, to make a
mountain out of a molehill. At the urging of the liberal press (especially the
New York Times), he was appointed to look into a run-of-the-mill leak and wound
up prosecuting not the leaker -- Richard Armitage of the State Department --
but Libby, convicted in the end of lying. This is not an entirely trivial
matter since government officials should not lie to grand juries, but neither
should they be called to account for practicing the dark art of politics. As
with sex or real estate, it is often best to keep  the lights off."

That really is the central belief of our Beltway press, captured so brilliantly
by Cohen in this perfect nutshell. When it comes to the behavior of our highest
and most powerful government officials, our Beltway media preaches, "it is
often best to keep the lights off." If that isn't the perfect motto for our
bold, intrepid, hard-nosed political press, then nothing is.

That is the motto that should be inscribed at the top of Fred Hiatt's Editorial
Page in pretty calligraphy. And let us acknowledge what a truly superb job they
have been doing in keeping the lights off.

Eric Boehlert (h/t Attaturk) previously documented just a few of Cohen's heroic
light-blocking efforts over the years ("The case for war is a good one,"
pronounced Cohen in February of 2003), and my personal favorite is here, where
Cohen mocked Howard Dean as a "fool or a Frenchman" for daring irreverently to
question the obviously conclusive case made by the Serious  Colin Powell about
Iraq's massive WMD stockpiles. As is true for so many of our Beltway elite, the
fact that war opponents turned out to be so right, and our serious Beltway
geniuses so wrong, has increased the contempt for those who were right; hence,
in defending the pro-war Libby, Cohen hurls one insult after the next at war
opponents and blames the Libby injustice on "them."

Beyond coining the perfect motto for our political press, Cohen -- in that
special paragraph quoted above -- also manages to pack in multiple falsehoods
in service of his Libby defense. He tells his readers, for instance, that a
special prosecutor was appointed to investigate the Plame leak "at the urging
of the liberal press," and later on in the column he pins the blame for Libby's
terrible plight on "Antiwar sanctimony." So sayeth the individual who plays the
role of "liberal columnist" at the Washington Post, whose script on the Libby
case would seem notably zealous even if it were  published in National Review.

The Libby prosecution clearly was the dirty work of the leftist anti-war
movement in this country, just as Cohen describes. After all, the reason
Patrick Fitzgerald was appointed to investigate this matter was because a
left-wing government agency (known as the "Central Intelligence Agency") filed
a criminal referral with the Justice Department, as the MoveOn-sympathizer CIA
officials were apparently unhappy about the public unmasking of one of their
covert agents.

In response, Bush's left-wing anti-war Attorney General, John Ashcroft, judged
the matter serious enough to recuse himself, leading Bush's left-wing anti-war
Deputy Attorney General, James Comey, to conclude that a Special Prosecutor was
needed. In turn, Comey appointed Fitzgerald, the left-wing anti-war Republican
Prosecutor and Bush appointee, who secured a conviction of Libby, in response
to which left-wing anti-war Bush appointee Judge Reggie Walton imposed Libby's
sentence.

In other words, it all happened exactly the way Cohen described it this morning
(Plame investigation and Libby conviction occurred because of "the liberal
press," "an unpopular war," "opponents of the Iraq war," "a vestigial
Stalinist-era yearning for abasement," and "Antiwar sanctimony"). Perhaps the
most revealing part of Cohen's column is this gem, where he protests how unfair
it is that Patrick Fitzgerald was so mean and threatening in his investigation,
and made all of those poor journalists so scared ("Much heroic braying turned
into cries for mercy"):

"As any prosecutor knows -- and Martha Stewart can attest -- white-collar types
tend to have a morbid fear of jail."

Indeed, it is so terribly unfair to investigate powerful government officials
because, as "white-collar types," they have a "morbid fear of jail" -- in
contrast, of course, to blue-collar types, and darker ones still, who really do
not mind prison at all. Why would they?  It's their natural habitat, where they
belong. That is what prison is for.

That has been the real point here all along. The real injustice is that prison
is simply not the place for the most powerful and entrenched members of the
Beltway royal court, no matter how many crimes they commit. There is a grave
indignity to watching our brave Republican elite be dragged before such lowly
venues as a criminal court and be threatened with prison, as though they are
common criminals or something. How disruptive and disrespectful and demeaning
it all is.

The most valuable lesson of Cohen's column -- almost certainly the same lesson
of the forthcoming pro-Libby book by Time's Norman Pearlstine, a book hailed by
Cohen as a "vigorously written account" of the "train wreck" of the Libby
investigation -- is that the overriding allegiance of our permanent Beltway
ruling class is to the royal court which accords them their status and
prestige. That overarching allegiance  overrides, easily, any supposed
partisan, ideological or other allegiances which, in their assigned roles, they
are ostensibly defending.

Thus, neoconservative Lewis Libby and "liberal pundit" Richard Cohen are peers
and colleagues and comrades in every way that matters, which is why Cohen (and
Hiatt and Pearlstine and all their friends) have so vigorously protested the
Libby injustice. High members of the royal court are, first and foremost,
defenders of their bloated and insulated swamp. And particularly the most
revered and highest-ranking among them should never be punished, let alone
imprisoned (said with whispered disgust), for their "dark politics" -- whether
that comes in the form of illegal eavesdropping, illegal torture, or illegal
obstruction of justice.

And what is to be avoided first and foremost is any light being shined on the
underbelly of how the royal court functions. How dare Patrick Fitzgerald, urged
on by International A.N.S.W.E.R. and  the other rambunctious anti-war street
protestors, stick his nose into their business. It is often best to keep the
lights off.

If even our Beltway media -- rather, especially them -- argues that criminality
by government officials should not be punished, and that light should not be
shined on what they do, then pervasive government corruption and deceit are
inevitable. That is just obvious. And that is why Cohen's column so perfectly
captures what has happened in our country and the truly indispensable role
which most of our political press has played in all of it.

Our media stars have not merely stood idly by while our highest government
officials engage in endless deceit and corruption. They actively defend it,
enable it, justify it, and participate in it. Keeping the lights off is their
principal function, one which -- with rare and noble exceptions -- they perform
quite eagerly.

UPDATE: One other point worth making here, a point I make in A Tragic  Legacy
this way:

"The relationship between official Washington and the permanent Beltway media
class has become infinitely closer and more cooperative than ever before.
Rather than acting as adversarial to one another, the most powerful political
officials in Washington and the most influential media stars are part of the
same system and nearly all are abundant beneficiaries of it. Many elite
national journalists are incentivized to protect and defend powerful political
leaders with whom they so frequently interact and on whom they depend for their
access and their "scoops."

"They have come instinctively to believe that Washington officials are
intrinsically good people. Journalists live in the same social and
socioeconomic circles, and the most powerful Washington figures are thus their
colleagues and friends, not their investigative targets.

"Thus, many journalists have become implacably resistant to the idea that these
political leaders are lying  about profoundly important matters, let alone
engaging in serious or illegal misconduct. Many journalists have come
reflexively to believe what their closest government associates say and to
refrain from searching for or trying to uncover serious wrongdoing, because
they simply do not believe it is there or, if it is there, have no desire or
incentive to expose it."

Or, as Richard Cohen put it: "It is often best to keep the lights off." In
exactly the same way, Tim Russert was forced to reveal his vital role in
keeping the lights off for his friends and colleagues, Our High Government
Officials, as described by Dan Froomkin: "According to Russert's testimony
yesterday at Libby's trial, when any senior government official calls him, they
are presumptively off the record. . . . That's not reporting, that's enabling.
That's how you treat your friends when you're having an innocent chat, not the
people you're supposed to be holding accountable." That is the relationship
between our star journalists and the high government officials they cover.

At the end of his column today, Cohen says: "Should Libby be pardoned? Maybe.
Should his sentence be commuted? Definitely." The scope of acceptable debate
among our serious Beltway opinion-makers ranges from "Libby should be pardoned
now" to "he should be pardoned later" to "he should have his sentence commuted
to no jail time" -- it is, in essence, a "debate" over the most politically
palatable means for achieving the collectively shared goal of the Beltway elite
-- "liberal" and conservative alike -- namely: keeping convicted felon Lewis
Libby, one of their own, out of jail. That's the instinct of our typical modern
Beltway journalist.

-- Glenn Greenwald