Sent to you by Sean McBride via Google Reader: High-tech badges log
human networks via New Scientist Technology Blog by Tom on 1/22/08
Surveillance badges that lay bare the social details of people's
everyday lives have been developed at the Human Dynamics lab at MIT.
The high-tech badges recognise each other using infrared, then record
your speech, note your distance from other people, and track your
movement.

We ran a feature last year about how such tags have been used to reveal
that we are not fully in control of our own lives - many of our actions
are simply predictable reactions to external events.

Now one of the researchers, Ben Waber, has blogged about handing out
the badges to delegates meeting with their corporate sponsors. The
badges were set to record face-to-face interactions between the people
wearing them, and displayed a social network illustrating all recorded
meetings on a screen.

You can see in the image posted here that most people wearing the
badges were linked in some way, with a few people left unconnected.
Over at the original post, you can see images showing how, over the
course of the day, more people became connected within the network as
they met more people.

Apparently, people began competing to become the centre of the network,
by meeting as many people as possible. If installed into the standard
name tags of conferences, perhaps these 'sociometric badges' could make
networking more interesting.

Tom Simonite, online technology reporter
Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to New Scientist Technology Blog using Google Reader
favorite sites