The news you won't get from the state controlled media -- anti-gay speakers
shouted down at CPAC as Ron Paulistas and small "l" libertarians and tea
partiers take over the audiences if not the speaker's platforms -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFNezndrSII

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 12:46 PM, M. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> *The Iconoclast
> **Why I'm Not at CPAC
> *Mickey Edwards
> Feb 18 2010, 2:49PM
>
> I was asked yesterday whether I would be going to CPAC<http://www.cpac.org/>,
> the annual Conservative Political Action Conference, which is currently
> being held a half-hour's walk from my office in D.C. It was a logical
> question, not only since the meetings are so close at hand but also because
> for five years I chaired CPAC.
>
> CPAC brings together conservative activists from every corner of America.
> As national chairman of the American Conservative Union, a founding trustee
> of the Heritage Foundation, and director of the policy task forces for
> Ronald Reagan's 1980 presidential campaign, speaking at CPAC and shaping the
> program were high priorities on my personal agenda every year, even while
> serving in Congress.
>
> But the answer to yesterday's question was "no." No, I'm not going to CPAC.
> And, truth be told, most of the folks there wouldn't want me there. They
> wouldn't think I'm a conservative; many wouldn't think Barry Goldwater was a
> conservative; many, had this been three decades ago, might have been seeking
> a "true" conservative to run against Ronald Reagan. I don't begrudge these
> activists their views and they are entitled to use the term "conservative"
> to describe themselves if they so choose. But the views many of them profess
> have little in common with the distinctly American kind of conservatism that
> gave birth to CPAC and the modern American conservative movement. Instead,
> what many of today's self-proclaimed "conservatives" proclaim is an ideology
> borrowed from what Donald Rumsfeld famously dismissed as "old Europe."
> Winston Churchill, one of Europe's better-known conservatives, was
> half-American and his incredible strength of character helped Great Britain
> survive World War II, but when asked to define conservatism, Churchill
> responded that conservatism was about reverence for king and church. But
> America has no king and has no national church. That distinction is crucial
> and one in which today's so-called conservatives have switched sides;
> crossed the ocean, if you will.
>
> What distinguished modern American conservatism was that it had its roots
> not in the British kings, but in John Locke and Adam Smith and other
> champions of individual liberties and individual empowerment. European
> conservatism--the kind that has now become the rage for the American
> Right--was top-down and centered on state power. The rise of modern American
> conservatism, on the other hand, had a distinctly Madisonian flair,
> embracing the fundamentals of American constitutional limits on central
> authority. European conservatism found its voice in magisterial decree,
> religious edict, and acts of parliaments in which members may or may not
> have ever visited the communities they were presumed to "represent."
> American conservatism found its voice in a Constitution that placed every
> major power in the hands of the people, through their representatives, and
> ensured that those representatives would actually be residents of the
> communities that elected them. American conservatism embraced a Constitution
> that separated and constrained powers, that specified --highlighted--a few
> of the protected liberties of the people coupled with clear assertions that
> all undelegated powers--all other unsurrendered liberties--remained with the
> people rather than the government. A Constitution that placed unambiguous
> limitations, including direct prohibitions, on the attempted exercise of
> governmental authority.
>
> Today there are few things that set a "conservatives'" teeth on edge more
> than a defense of "civil liberties;" yet that is what American conservatism
> was all about--protecting the liberties of the people. It was a system
> designed to protect the people from an over-reaching government, not to
> protect the government from the people. American constitutionalism was a
> historical high-point in recognizing individual worth. Stop at CPAC today
> and you will find rooms full of ardent, zealous, fervent young men and women
> who believe the government should be allowed to torture (we condemned people
> at Nuremberg for doing that), who believe the government should be able to
> lock people up without charges and hold them indefinitely (something Henry
> VIII agreed was a proper exercise of government authority). Who believe the
> government should be able to read a citizen's mail and listen in on a
> citizen's phone calls, all without a warrant (the Constitution of course
> prohibits searches without a warrant, but nobody cares less about the
> Constitution than some of today's ersatz conservatives).
>
> I'm not at CPAC because I believe in America. I believe in liberty. I
> believe that governments should be held in check. I believe people matter. I
> believe in the flag not because of its shape or color but because of the
> principles it stands for--the principles in the Constitution, the principles
> repeated and underlined and highlighted and boldfaced and italicized in the
> Bill of Rights. The George W. whose presidency and precedents I admire was
> the first president, not the 43d. It is James Madison I admire, not John
> Yoo. Thomas Paine, not Glenn Beck. Jefferson, not Limbaugh.
>
> Ronald Reagan would not have been welcome at today's CPAC or a tea party
> rally, but he would not have wanted to be there, either. Neither do I.
>
> http://correspondents.theatlantic.com/mickey_edwards/2010/02/why_im_not_at_cpac.php
>
> --
> Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
> For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
>
> * Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
> * It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
> * Read the latest breaking news, and more.

-- 
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum

* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/  
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls. 
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.

Reply via email to