Published: January 12, 2010
WASHINGTON — The United States contractor detained in Cuba last month
and accused of being a spy is a 60-year-old social worker from the
Washington suburbs who had gone to Cuba to provide communications
equipment to Jewish nonprofit organizations, according to American
officials.

In postings on the Internet, the contractor, Alan P. Gross — whose
identify had not previously been made public — said he had more than
20 years’ experience in development work around the world. One of his
Internet networking sites said he had been a volunteer field organizer
for Barack Obama’s presidential campaign.

American officials say that Mr. Gross had gone to Cuba as part of a
United States government program and was providing encouragement and
financial assistance to religious nonprofit groups. The officials
acknowledge that Mr. Gross entered Cuba without the proper visa,
though they contend that he was not involved in any activities that
posed a violent threat to the Cuban government. And they flatly
dispute any allegations that he is a spy.

The Cuban government, however, has characterized his work as a threat
to national security.

In the United States, where Cuba continues to fire political passions,
Mr. Gross’s detention has become the source of new tensions between
Washington and Havana, and it threatens to ignite more debate on
Capitol Hill about how the Obama administration ought to proceed in
its Cuba policy.

Specifically, the case has raised questions about whether the
administration should continue a Bush administration practice of
sending development workers to conduct the kind of semicovert
operations that landed Mr. Gross in jail.

Mr. Gross has visited Cuba several times, delivering computer and
satellite equipment to three Jewish community groups, according to
people with knowledge of his work.

In December, they said, he was on a follow-up trip for Development
Alternatives Inc., a contractor working with the United States Agency
for International Development. The people who know about his work, who
spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized
to comment on the matter, said Mr. Gross was sent to research how the
groups were making use of the equipment he had previously distributed
to them.

“His work in Cuba was focused on facilitating communications among
people in a nonviolent, nondissident religious organization,” DAI said
in a statement.

Details about Mr. Gross and his work in Cuba slowly began to emerge
this week. Mr. Gross studied social work at the University of Maryland
and the Virginia Commonwealth University, and he had a long career as
an international development worker that took him to at least 50
countries.

In 2001, he started a company called Joint Business Development
Center, whose Web site says it has “supported Internet connectivity in
locations where there was little or no access,” including Iraq,
Afghanistan, Armenia and Kuwait. Records show his company earned less
than $70,000 last year.

One friend, Howard Feinberg, said, “The Alan I know is someone who is
concerned only about helping improve the human condition, not meddling
in people’s politics.”

President Obama came to office promising a new era of engagement with
Cuba. But after lifting some restrictions on travel and remittances,
he has been reluctant to take further steps, citing continuing reports
of human rights abuses in Cuba. Some Cuba experts have said that Mr.
Gross’s arrest may harden Mr. Obama’s stance.

Cuba, meanwhile, said the episode signaled that Mr. Obama was just as
committed to overthrowing the government as his predecessor was.

Havana has used Mr. Gross’s arrest as an opportunity to raise an old
grievance: America’s long prison terms for five Cuban agents convicted
of spying on Cuban exile organizations. Havana maintains that the
agents were in the United States to prevent terrorist acts against
Cuba and has called on the Obama administration to release them.

As for Mr. Gross, Cuba has said little. The government has not
formally charged him with a crime. Cuban authorities have provided the
United States almost no information, nor have they made any demands.

As a result, Washington and many American experts on Cuba have been
left speculating about Havana’s intentions.

“The Cuban regime is obviously looking for some kind of U.S.
concession, callously using the contractor as a bargaining chip,” said
Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Republican of Florida, a member of
the House Foreign Affairs Committee.

Some American officials said they suspected that Cuba aimed to shine
light on A.I.D.’s undercover Cuba programs, whose financing has grown
in the past decade from about $5 million to over $45 million a year
and have a history of mismanagement.

Senator John Kerry, chairman of the powerful Foreign Relations
Committee, has called for a comprehensive review of the A.I.D.
programs.

Representative Bill Delahunt, Democrat of Massachusetts, meanwhile,
asked whether there might be other ways to provide information to
nongovernmental groups. “If we want to have influence on the island,
what makes sense?” he said.

Others say that sometimes covert actions are necessary.

“This is the kind of thing we do all over the world when we are trying
to reach people their governments don’t want us to reach,” said an
aide to a Democratic senator. “It’s naïve to think that if we asked
Cuba for permission, we’d get it.”

Ginger Thompson reported from Washington, and Marc Lacey from Mexico
City.

On Mar 3, 11:39 pm, dick thompson <[email protected]> wrote:
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
> --------------------+
> | White House Declassifies Outline of Cybersecurity Plans                     
>                  |
> |   from the how-generous dept.                                               
>                  |
> |   posted by Soulskill on Wednesday March 03, @10:20 (Security)              
>                  |
> |  https://news.slashdot.org/story/10/03/03/1454225/White-House-Declassi...
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
> --------------------+
>
> An anonymous reader writes "The Obama administration on Tuesday
> [0]declassified part of the Comprehensive National Cybersecurity
> Initiative created during the Bush administration, [1]outlining offensive
> and defensive strategies for protecting information networks. The
> initiative was originally intended to unify efforts of a number of
> government agencies into a comprehensive strategy to protect the nation's
> computer networks. 'One area in which the government did officially
> disclose new details was Einstein 3, a program to protect civilian
> government systems from intrusion by deploying sensors on the networks of
> private telecommunications companies. For the first time, the government
> disclosed officially that the program would use technology developed by
> the NSA, the nation's largest intelligence agency. It also said that the
> Department of Homeland Security, which would run the program, would share
> malicious code data with the NSA but not the content of communications,
> such as e-mails.'"
>
> Discuss this story at:
>    http://news.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=10/03/03/1454225
>
> Links:
>     0.http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/02/AR201...
>     1.http://www.whitehouse.gov/cybersecurity/comprehensive-national-cybers...

-- 
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum

* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/  
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls. 
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.

Reply via email to