fuckin' yankee mentality

Race was asked differently in the Census 2000 in several other ways
than previously. Most significantly, respondents were given the option
of selecting one or more race categories to indicate their racial
identities. Data show that nearly seven million Americans identified
themselves as members of two or more races. Because of these changes,
the Census 2000 data on race are not directly comparable with data
from the 1990 census or earlier censuses. Caution must be used,
therefore, when interpreting changes in the racial composition of the
US population over time.
Snapshot: Race in the US Census
The 7th federal census, in 1850, asked for "Color"[6] and gave the
choices:
White
Black
Mulatto
The 10th federal census, in 1880, asked for "Color"[7] and gave the
choices:
White
Black
Mulatto
Chinese
Indian
The 22nd federal census, in 2000, had a "short form"[8] that asked one
ethnic and one race/ancestry question (questions 1-6 not reproduced
here, questions 7 and 8 paraphrased):
7. Is the person Spanish/Hispanic/Latino?

No, not Spanish/Hispanic/Latino
Yes, Mexican, Mexican American, Chicano
Yes, Puerto Rican
Yes, Cuban
Yes, other Spanish/Hispanic/Latino (write in group)
8. What is the person's race?

White
Black, African Am., or Negro
American Indian or Alaska Native (write in tribe)
Asian Indian
Chinese
Filipino
Japanese
Korean
Vietnamese
Native Hawaiian
Guamanian or Chamorro
Samoan
Other Asian (write in race)
Other Pacific Islander (write in race)
Other race (write in race)
This census acknowledged that "race categories include both racial and
national-origin groups."

The following definitions apply to the 2000 census only.[9]
"White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of
Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who
indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish,
German, Italian, Lebanese, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish."[9]
"Black or African American. A person having origins in any of the
Black racial groups of Africa. It includes people who indicate their
race as 'Black, African Am., or Negro,' or provide written entries
such as African American, Afro American, Kenyan, Nigerian, or
Haitian."[9]
"American Indian and Alaska Native. A person having origins in any of
the original peoples of North and South America (including Central
America) and who maintain tribal affiliation or community
attachment."[9]
"Asian. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the
Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for
example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the
Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam. It includes "Asian Indian,"
"Chinese," "Filipino," "Korean," "Japanese," "Vietnamese," and "Other
Asian.""[9]
"Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander. A person having origins
in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other
Pacific Islands. It includes people who indicate their race as "Native
Hawaiian," "Guamanian or Chamorro," "Samoan," and "Other Pacific
Islander.""[9]
"Some other race. Includes all other responses not included in the
"White", "Black or African American", "American Indian and Alaska
Native", "Asian" and "Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander" race
categories described above. Respondents providing write-in entries
such as multiracial, mixed, interracial, We-Sort, or a Hispanic/Latino
group (for example, Mexican, Puerto Rican, or Cuban) in the "Some
other race" category are included here."[9]
"Two or more races. People may have chosen to provide two or more
races either by checking two or more race response check boxes, by
providing multiple write-in responses, or by some combination of check
boxes and write-in responses."[9]
[edit]Ethnicity
The Federal government of the United States has mandated that "in data
collection and presentation, federal agencies are required to use a
minimum of two ethnicities: "Hispanic or Latino" and "Not Hispanic or
Latino.""[10] The Census Bureau defines "Hispanic or Latino" as "a
person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American or
other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race."[10] For
discussion of the meaning and scope of the Hispanic or Latino
ethnicity, see the Hispanic and Latino Americans and Racial and ethnic
demographics of the United States articles.
Use of the word ethnicity for Hispanicity only is considerably more
restricted than its conventional meaning, which covers other
distinctions, some of which are covered by the "race" and "ancestry"
questions. The distinct questions accommodate the possibility of
Hispanic and Latino Americans' also declaring various racial
identities (see also White Hispanic and Latino Americans, Asian
Latinos, and Black Hispanic and Latino Americans).
In the 2000 Census, 12.5% of the US population reported "Hispanic or
Latino" ethnicity and 87.5% reported "Not-Hispanic or Latino"
ethnicity.[10]
[edit]Other agencies

In 2001, the National Institutes of Health adopted the new language to
comply with the revisions to Directive 15,[11] as did the Equal
Employment Opportunity Commission of the United States Department of
Labor in 2007.[12] See Race and ethnicity (EEO).
[edit]Relation between ethnicity and race in census results

The Census Bureau warns that data on race in Census 2000 are not
directly comparable to those collected in previous censuses.[9] It has
also been noted that many US residents see race and ethnicity as the
same concept.

The 2010 US Census includes changes designed to more clearly
distinguish Hispanic ethnicity as not being a race. That includes
adding the sentence: "For this census, Hispanic origins are not
races."[13][14] Additionally, the Hispanic terms are reordered from
"Hispanic or Latino" to "Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin".[13][14]
Although used in the Census and the American Community Survey, "Some
other race" is not an official race,[10] and the Bureau considered
eliminating it prior to the 2010 census.[15] As the 2010 census form
does not contain the question titled "Ancestry" found in recent
censuses, there are campaigns to get non-Hispanic West Indian
Americans and Arab Americans to indicate their ethnic or national
background through the race question, specifically the "Some other
race" category.[16][17][18]