http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=142101

*BORN IN THE USA?
* Justice Clarence Thomas: We're 'evading' eligibility Does testimony hint
at division behind Supreme Court's doors?
------------------------------
4:13 pm Eastern

By Drew Zahn
© 2010 WorldNetDaily

Justice Clarence Thomas

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas told a House subcommittee that
when it comes to determining whether a person born outside the 50 states can
serve as U.S. president, the high court is "evading" the issue.

The comments came as part of Thomas' testimony before a House appropriations
panel discussing an increase in the Supreme Court's budget earlier this
week.

Subcommittee Chairman Rep. Jose Serrano, D-N.Y., actually raised the
question first amid a discussion on racial diversity in the judiciary.

"I'm still waiting for the [court decision] on whether or not a Puerto Rican
can run for president of the United States," said Serrano, who was born in
the island territory. "That's another issue."

Yet after Serrano questioned him on whether or not the land's highest court
would be well-served by a justice who had never been a judge, Thomas not
only answered in the affirmative, but also hinted that Serrano would be
better off seeking a seat in the Supreme Court than a chair in the Oval
Office.

"I'm glad to hear that you don't think there has to be a judge on the
Court," said Serrano, "because I'm not a judge; I've never been a judge."

"And you don't have to be born in the United States," said Thomas, referring
to the Constitution, which requires the  president to be a natural-born
citizen but has no such clause for a Supreme Court justice, "so you never
have to answer that question."

"Oh really?" asked Serrano. "So you haven't answered the one about whether I
can serve as president, but you answer this one?"

"We're evading that one," answered Thomas, referring to questions of
presidential eligibility and prompting laughter in the chamber. "We're
giving you another option."

A portion of the exchange, captured on video by C-SPAN, can be seen below:

*(Story continues below)*

  **

Serrano opened the hearing by noting the jersey number 42 taped to the
platform in honor of black baseball star Jackie Robinson, who 63 years ago
this week broke professional baseball's "color barrier" when he took the
field for the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Serrano also took a moment to honor the Supreme Court's first Hispanic
justice, Sonia Sotomayor:

"I'd like to note before we begin this hearing that there has been a change
at the Court, which has special meaning to the Court, to the American
society in general, and to me personally," Serrano said, "because Sonia
Sotomayor comes from the South Bronx, from the area that I represent and the
area I grew up in and her parents were born in the same island of Puerto
Rico that I was born in."

Though the hearing was specifically called to address the Court's request
for an increase in funding, the racial themes continued when Rep. Barbara
Lee, D-Calif., took Thomas and the Supreme Court in general to task for not
employing more minority clerks and staff.

Thomas, in turn, praised the value of having people of diverse backgrounds,
career paths and regions of the country serving in the judiciary and on
Supreme Court staff.

Serrano then asked if Supreme Court would do well to have justices that
weren't promoted from the appellate courts, but rather came from state
courts or even the ranks of elected officials, laying the foundation for the
later banter over Serrano as president or justice.

As WND
reported<http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=82833>,
Justice Thomas had previously resurrected a case challenging Barack Obama's
eligibility to be president not based on his birthplace, but on whether
Obama, a child born to a foreign national and admitting dual citizenship,
would still be eligible under the Constitution's Article 2, Section 1
"natural-born citizen" requirement.

*New strategy unveiled on answering Obama's eligibility questions. See how
you can help.* <http://www.wnd.com/validationofbarackobama>

Hints of division within the Supreme Court on the issue existed as far back
as December 2008, as Justice David H. Souter had initially denied the case a
hearing, but Justice Thomas agreed to bring it back for review. The case did
not, however, obtain the required approval of four justices to move it
forward to a full hearing.

So far, the Supreme Court has not yet heard any case challenging Obama's
eligibility on any grounds.

WND has reported on multiple legal
challenges<http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=122702>to
Obama's status as a "natural born citizen." The Constitution, Article
2,
Section 1, states, "No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of
the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall
be eligible to the Office of President."

Some of the lawsuits question whether Obama was actually born in Hawaii, as
he insists. If he was born out of the country, Obama's American mother, the
suits contend, was too young at the time of his birth to confer American
citizenship to her son under the law at the time.

Other challenges have focused on Obama's citizenship through his father, a
Kenyan subject to the jurisdiction of the United Kingdom at the time of his
birth, thus making him a dual citizen. The cases contend the framers of the
Constitution excluded dual citizens from qualifying as natural born.

Further, others question his citizenship by virtue of his attendance in
Indonesian schools during his childhood and question on what passport did he
travel to Pakistan three decades ago.

Adding fuel to the fire is Obama's persistent refusal to release documents
that could provide answers and the appointment – and payments to one of his
eligibility lawyers at a cost confirmed to be at least $1.7 million – of
numerous lawyers to defend against all requests for his documentation.
That's in addition to the work done by U.S.
attorneys<http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=142101#>defending
Obama's eligibility, as in this case.

While his supporters cite an online version of a "Certification of Live
Birth" from Hawaii as his birth verification, critics point out such
documents actually were issued for children not born in the state.

"Where's The Birth Certificate?" billboard helps light up the night at the
Mandalay Bay resort on the Las Vegas Strip.

Because of the dearth of information about Obama's eligibility, WND founder
Joseph Farah has launched a campaign to raise contributions to post
billboards asking a simple question: "Where's the birth
certificate?"<http://shop.wnd.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=2866>

The campaign followed a petition that has collected more than 500,000
signatures <http://www.wnd.com/obama_petition> demanding proof of his
eligibility, the availability of yard
signs<http://shop.wnd.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=2942>raising the
question and the
production of permanent, detachable magnetic bumper stickers asking the
question. <http://shop.wnd.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=2722>

The "certification of live birth" posted online and widely touted as
"Obama's birth certificate" does not in any way prove he was born in Hawaii,
since the same "short-form" document is easily obtainable for children not
born in Hawaii. The true "long-form" birth certificate – which includes
information such as the name of the birth hospital and attending physician –
is the only document that can prove Obama was born in Hawaii, but to date he
has not permitted its release for public or press scrutiny.

Oddly, though congressional hearings were held to determine whether Sen.
John McCain was constitutionally eligible to be president as a "natural born
citizen," no controlling legal authority ever sought to verify Obama's claim
to a Hawaiian birth.

Your donation – from as little as $5 to as much as $1,000 – can be made
online at the WND SuperStore. (Donations are not tax-deductible. Donations
of amounts greater than $1,000 can be arranged by calling either
541-474-1776 or 1-800-4WND.COM. If you would prefer to mail in your
contributions, they should be directed to WND, P.O. Box 1627, Medford,
Oregon, 97501. Be sure to specify the purpose of the donation by writing
"billboard" on the check. In addition, donations of billboard space will be
accepted, as will significant contributions specifically targeted for
geographic locations.)
<http://shop.wnd.com/store/item.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=13&SUBDEPARTMENT_ID=84&ITEM_ID=2866>

If you are a member of the media and would like to interview Joseph Farah
about this campaign, e-mail WND. <pr...@wnd.com>
------------------------------

*Related offers:*

See the movie Obama does not want you to see: Own the DVD that probes this
unprecedented presidential eligibility
mystery!<http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=104814>

Want to turn up the pressure to learn the facts? Get your signs and
postcards asking for the president's birth certificate documentation from
the Birth Certificate
Store!<http://shop.wnd.com/store/subdept.asp?SUBDEPARTMENT_ID=251>

Send a contribution to support the national billboard campaign that asks the
simple question, "Where's the birth
certificate?"<http://shop.wnd.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=2866>

Get your yard signs and rally signs that ask the same question – and make
sure it's in time for the next tea party
rally<http://shop.wnd.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=2942>

Get your permanent, detachable magnetic bumper stickers for your car, truck
or file cabinet – and join the campaign for constitutional
integrity.<http://shop.wnd.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=2722>

Get the most comprehensive special report ever produced on the Obama
eligibility issue. <http://shop.wnd.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=2767>

*New strategy unveiled on answering Obama's eligibility questions. See how
you can help.* <http://www.wnd.com/validationofbarackobama>
------------------------------

*Related stories:*

Mayor joins chorus questioning if Obama
'American'<http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=141745>

Did Supreme Court *clerk* torpedo eligibility
cases?<http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=91548>

Scalia: You need 4 votes for Obama eligibility
case<http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=91345>

Eligibility dispute, Part 2, scheduled by
Supremes<http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=83113>

Supreme Court denies 1st eligibility
challenge<http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=83041>

Will Supremes review citizenship
arguments?<http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=82833>

THE FULL STORY: See listing of more than 200 exclusive WND reports on the
eligibility issue <http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=98546>

*Drew Zahn is a news editor for WorldNetDaily.*

--
This group is created for discussing national issues to stop the current
administration from transforming this country into something not intended by