Damn!  Is it me?  Or are you actually posting cognizant, rational thought
provoking articles today?


On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 8:14 AM, MJ <[email protected]> wrote:

>  "I know, for example, that I am more likely to be killed by my 
> furniture<http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/06/americans-are-as-likely-to-be-killed-by-their-own-furniture-as-by-terrorism/258156/>than
>  by a terrorist. Yet I don’t sit at home eyeing my dressers and
> appliances warily, waiting for them to make their move. I understand that
> my chances of being killed by a terrorist are approximately one in 20
> million, while my chances of being struck by 
> lightning<http://reason.com/archives/2011/09/06/how-scared-of-terrorism-should>are
>  one in 5,500,000. Yet I don’t clamor for a War on Lightning to combat
> this deadly threat. And I am eight 
> times<http://www.theweeklyconstitutional.com/news/headlines/773-cop-more-likely-to-kill-you-than-terrorists>more
>  likely to be killed by a police officer than by a terrorist. I know
> all of this. So why was I swept up in the fear of terrorism on that flight?"
>
> *Fear and Flying, Then and Now
> *by Bretigne Shaffer
>
> In 1988, I fled college without having graduated, saved a little bit of
> money and got on an airplane for Taiwan. Martial law had just been lifted
> and back then, to enter on a tourist visa, you had to show a return-trip
> ticket. So that's what I bought, even though I had no intention of
> returning to the US after my three-month-one-time-renewable stint was up.
> My plan was to sell my ticket to someone else and use the money to buy a
> ticket to wherever I was going next. So I put an ad in a local
> English-language paper and a young American guy responded to it. He paid me
> half the money up front, with a promise to pay the balance after I went to
> the airport with him and checked in – since the ticket was of course still
> in my name.
>
> On the day of his flight, the American guy and I took the bus out to
> Chiang Kai Shek International Airport. I took the ticket up to the airline
> counter, checked myself in, and then handed him the ticket and he handed me
> the rest of the money. We were both familiar with airport procedures back
> then: Once you had checked in, you would not ever have to show
> identification again. There were no long security lines, no invasive
> pat-downs, no full-body scanners. You walked through a metal detector and
> then on to your gate. He took the ticket, we said goodbye and I never heard
> from him again, so assume that he made it all the way to Los Angeles.
>
> Imagine trying to do this in today’s world. Imagine what would happen to
> the hapless souls who even attempted to pull off this kind of mutually
> beneficial exchange that harmed no-one else. Very likely, they would both
> find themselves accused of plotting a massive terrorist attack and be
> thrown into a military prison, detained indefinitely, perhaps never to be
> released.
>
> By today’s reasoning, the airports should have been on full alert back
> then. 1988 had been one of the worst years in terms of international
> terrorist attacks since 1972. With 456 incidents, the year had the highest
> number of terrorist attacks since 1985, and was within a cluster of the
> worst five years to date at that time.
>
> [image: []]
> (Source: SystemicPeace.org <http://www.systemicpeace.org/conflict.htm> ,
> drawing on data provided by the RAND Database of Worldwide Terrorism
> Incidents ( 
> RDWTI<http://www.rand.org/nsrd/projects/terrorism-incidents.html%29>
> ))
>
> In fact, the number of international terrorism incidents began to decline
> soon after that period – all without the aid of "heightened security" or
> the official harassment of airline passengers. It began to rise again
> beginning in 2001, and there is no reason to think that all of these
> heightened security measures have had any impact at all in preventing acts
> of terrorism since then. What they have done however, beyond the obvious
> violations of our right to privacy, to travel, and not to be molested by
> strangers wearing badges, is to help change our culture for the worse.
>
> I remember when flying used to be fun. I remember the feeling of
> excitement as I headed to the airport, boarded my plane and lifted off for
> new adventures in unknown lands – or even known ones. For the past few
> years, I’ve just avoided flying entirely, but I recently took to the skies
> again, and can attest to the complete lack of fun and excitement there is
> to be found in being herded about like cattle and being barked at by TSA
> agents – many of whom, the signs in the security line proudly inform me,
> have previously served in the military.
>
> None of this surprised me. What did surprise me though, was something that
> happened on the plane on one of these trips. I was traveling with my family
> – my husband and son a few rows back, my daughter and I sitting together.
> Across from us were two empty seats and after the seatbelt sign was turned
> off, a well-dressed gentleman from the row in front of us moved from his
> seat into one of the unoccupied ones. He was not an American, but I wasn’t
> sure what part of the world he was from. He had earbuds in his ears and was
> listening to music. After a short while, he began singing along to the
> music. Loudly. In a foreign language. The lady in front of me looked over
> at him with a concerned frown. Fifteen years ago, I would have just dug
> into my purse for my earplugs and written him off as an irritating fellow
> passenger. But on this trip I kept my eye on him to make sure he wasn’t
> going to set his shoes on fire. I uncapped my pen in case I needed to kill
> him with it.
>
> After a while, and after seeing him engage in friendly banter with the
> flight attendants, I decided I wasn’t going to have to kill him with my pen
> and I put the lid back on. Of course he was just an irritating fellow
> passenger. But for a moment there, I had been caught up in the frenzied
> fear that has come to define American culture. I was just as wary of the
> "crazy foreigner" sitting nearby as anyone else would be. But I shouldn’t
> have been. I know better.
>
> I know, for example, that I am more likely to be killed by my 
> furniture<http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/06/americans-are-as-likely-to-be-killed-by-their-own-furniture-as-by-terrorism/258156/>than
>  by a terrorist. Yet I don’t sit at home eyeing my dressers and
> appliances warily, waiting for them to make their move. I understand that
> my chances of being killed by a terrorist are approximately one in 20
> million, while my chances of being struck by 
> lightning<http://reason.com/archives/2011/09/06/how-scared-of-terrorism-should>are
>  one in 5,500,000. Yet I don’t clamor for a War on Lightning to combat
> this deadly threat. And I am eight 
> times<http://www.theweeklyconstitutional.com/news/headlines/773-cop-more-likely-to-kill-you-than-terrorists>more
>  likely to be killed by a police officer than by a terrorist. I know
> all of this. So why was I swept up in the fear of terrorism on that flight?
>
> I can think of lots of reasons: I am a mom and I had my little girl next
> to me and wasn’t going to take any chances; I hadn’t flown in a while,
> don’t get out much, and had forgotten how just plain weird people could be;
> acts of terrorism actually do happen, and I wouldn’t want to be unprepared
> in case this was that one in 20 million event. But here’s what I think it
> really is: I live in a culture in which fear is both an important commodity
> and a critical tool of manipulation. Various interests – government and the
> media mostly – combine forces to peddle fear, to magnify it, and to tell us
> *what* to fear. Whether we agree with it or not, we hear that message and
> it remains implanted in our psyches.
>
> We are told that a man has tried to blow up a plane by setting his shoe on
> fire, it’s all over the news for weeks, everyone talks about it. Even those
> of us who don’t watch television can’t help hearing about it. And the next
> time we get on an airplane and see a person acting a little odd, we can’t
> help thinking about that guy setting his shoes on fire. *Even those of us
> who should know better* can’t help thinking about him. To some extent,
> most of us can’t help buying into the fear.
>
> What we can do though is to not let that fear do our thinking for us. We
> can decide not to buy into the conclusions the purveyors of fear would like
> us to accept, and not forget that they remain – as a simple statistical
> fact – the greater threat to our security than are any terrorists.
>
> When I was waiting to board my United Airlines flight a few weeks ago, a
> staff member announced over the loudspeaker that "those requiring special
> assistance, those traveling with small children and those currently serving
> in our military" would be allowed to pre-board. I hope I wasn’t the only
> one there to notice the irony in our having just passed through a massive,
> invasive and inept security apparatus ostensibly for the purpose of
> protecting us from terrorism – and then having the airline honor the very
> institution that has brought terrorism to our shores by its own acts of
> aggression overseas.
>
> I don’t like to think that I can be manipulated by the fear mongers. But
> the truth is, when someone plants an idea or an image in one’s psyche, it
> is hard not to let that idea or image impact one’s thinking or even how one
> sees the world. Fear is a tremendously powerful tool for controlling
> people. Those who would control other people have known this for centuries.
> But it is only powerful to the extent that it gets us to abdicate our own
> powers of reason. We can remain viscerally fearful of terrorism – even
> irrationally so – and yet not accept the reasoning put forth by the fear
> mongers, nor the "solutions" that are their true aim.
>
> We can remind ourselves of the statistics. We can remind ourselves that
> those in power want us afraid so that they can strengthen their control
> over us. And we can also remember that this pervasive fear is not a natural
> way of being, that it is not how all cultures are, that it hasn’t always
> been this way. We can remember that flying was once fun, that making it
> less fun has not made it any safer and that one day it can be fun again.
>
>  http://lewrockwell.com/shaffer-br/shaffer-br14.1.html
>
> --
> --
> Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
> For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
>
> * Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
> * It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
> * Read the latest breaking news, and more.
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "PoliticalForum" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to [email protected].
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>
>
>

-- 
-- 
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum

* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/  
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls. 
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"PoliticalForum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to