On Nov 14, 2016, at 5:30 PM, Matthew Butterick <m...@mbtype.com> wrote:

> Not joking, but also not claiming to have a full-fledged idea ;)

Here's a rudimentary version of moving tag functions into classes:

https://gist.github.com/mbutterick/b169900fedf84810b6335365b89562e4

In this example, all the tag functions would become class methods. The `tags%`
class would define the default versions. The `pdf-tags%` and `text-tags%`
inherit from this class, so they get all the default tag functions, but can
define overrides as well.

The `current-tag-object` parameter would switch which class is being used,
somehow tied to `current-poly-target`, I'm glossing over some details ...

Then the actual tag functions in "pollen.rkt" would merely be stubs that
dispatch into the `current-tag-object`.

But I believe this produces the behavior you describe: selective override of
certain tag functions, otherwise resorting to defaults.