I'm coding up tags for a textbook, and I'm not stuck with citations tags.
I'm sending this note to ask for advice on how to implement this
functionality.

As far as I can tell, there are at least 3 options:

1. I'd like to test out the functionality for bibtex citation rendering in
Scribble, but the API from Racket is somewhat opaque and difficult to
use--this is largely due to my inexperience with racket and lisps. I have
yet to use these functions to render a single citation from a bibtex file.

2. I believe an alternative would be to try to incorporate scribbler code
that renders into pollen tags. Would this approach be feasible?

https://docs.racket-lang.org/scriblib/autobib.html

3. Finally, I could try to use external programs to render the citation. I
haven't cobbled together a set of programs that can do this robustly, but I
like this option since the citations would appear identically between pdf
and html outputs.

Once I've coded this up, I'd be happy to contribute some of the code back.
Joel has done some nice work with most html/latex tags, but there are some
that could use additional functionality. For example, I've coded equations
that render to svg in html (and natively in latex), since mathjax can be
somewhat limited (and slow) for some equations. Also, I've made figure and
image tags that natively convert images for html.

Thanks!

J Lorieau