am about to revisit this in depth… but… the last time I dug in there was
definitely an XHR load of an html file originating from polymer (from the
web component.min.js, actually, as I recall, which I am classifying
generically as “polymer”).

As I recall the XHR request was loading html web components from its host
(I think it was loading the entire vulcanized html file). If that host url
happens to be file:// then that is what it used for the XHR request.  The
problem is… WKWebView rejects that access… so no-go for the Polymer app.

If the page is loaded via an ordinary http request then all is well. The
exact same code loading via an Android WebView is fine also.  The problem
is limited to security restrictions in WKWebView. See the bug link that I
posted for more info.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/polymer-dev/CACDv4tDu6JrtF1TQcv_KtB1V_W%3Dfouhtbrv_AV6SaMGeLMTH9Q%40mail.gmail.com.