I have code like this in my app:

      observers: [
        '_dataGenericObserver(userData.generic)',
      ],

      // If this.userData.generic.id is set, then the register tab is
      // NOT visible. In this case, the selected tab mustn't be
"register"...
      _dataGenericObserver: function(){
        if (this.userData.generic.id){
          this.selected = 'login';
        } else {
          if (this.defaultRegister) {
            this.selected = 'register';
          } else {
            this.selected = 'login';
          }
        }
      },

Is this safe? Or should I *always* do this instead:

      observers: [
        '_dataGenericObserver(userData.generic)',
      ],

      // If this.userData.generic.id is set, then the register tab is
      // NOT visible. In this case, the selected tab mustn't be
"register"...
      _dataGenericObserver: function(generic){
        if (generic.id){
          this.selected = 'login';
        } else {
          if (this.defaultRegister) {
            this.selected = 'register';
          } else {
            this.selected = 'login';
          }
        }
      },

...?
I noticed in some cases in other parts of the app that if I have an
observer on `_someFunc(value.subvalue)`, and then have `_someFunc:
function( subValue)`, in the function `subValue` is set, whereas
`this.value.subValue` isn't. However, I am not able to replicate it - sorry.

Questions:

* Is it always recommended to use the values passed to the functions,
rather than `this.*`?
* WHEN is it likely to happen, that a `subValue` is set as a function
parameter, but NOT in `this.value.subValue`?

Follow Polymer on Google+: plus.google.com/107187849809354688692
---
"Polymer" group.
to polymer-dev+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/polymer-dev/166fbdef-69d4-4b08-9b24-711046c23ca0%40googlegroups.com.