When we moved to npm we needed a way for modules to reference each other,
and unlike with Bower where all packages are siblings of each other,
there's no stable relative URL that we could use for this. The overwhelming
community pattern on npm is to use package names for cross-package
references and a tool (or Node) to resolve them. So we went with the
community standard and used package names, knowing that there are a
plethora of tools that can resolve ment, and that future browser standards
like import maps will support package name resolution directly in the
browser.

Until import-maps land, you can use a number of tools:
 * `polymer serve` will automatically resolve bare specifiers on the fly.
 * open-wc.org tooling will as well
 * Bundlers like Rollup, Parcel, and Webpack will resolve names. Rollup
with the rollup-node-resolve plugin.

Hope that helps!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/polymer-dev/CAEKsHmDmFf-qLtgnhawbCtuCtkGWe%2BsgHTYC1i68UMxZTL0-yA%40mail.gmail.com.