Makarius, David,

Thanks for the input on this. I should explain that my example is for a
presentation including a demo involving an 11-line LCF-style kernel and a
decision procedure that packs as many bugs and infelicities as I could manage
into 4 lines. So sadly, writing my own pretty-printer would spoil the point.
However, as it is a really trivial program, it will run on New Jersey ML! For a
serious LCF-style system, one will always want to write a custom pretty-printer
for the abstract data types in the kernel, so this is not an issue of any
importance in practice.

Regards,

Rob.