Am 02.04.2013 14:02, schrieb David Matthews:
> On 02/04/2013 12:50, Makarius wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Apr 2013, David Matthews wrote:
>>
>>> Do you has something else in mind apart from PolyML.export?  Perhaps
>>> some form of separate compilation of modules?  I'm not familiar with
>>> OCaml.
>>
>> Actual separate compilation is a different thing.  I don't think there
>> is a real need for that in Poly/ML.  The compiler is fast enough to
>> compile huge applications from scratch.
>>
>> Personally I don't have any requirements beyond what Poly/ML does
>> already. What "the man in the street" wants to see, though, is something
>> that looks and feels like "polymlc ..." just like "cc ...", although
>> that might sound a bit silly.
>
> Well it wouldn't be hard to provide a slight variation of the top-level
> that when it reached end-of-file it looked in the name-space for a
> variable called "main", checked that it had the correct function type
> and then called PolyML.export on it.  If this would appeal to some
> current sceptics about Poly/ML then I'm happy to do it.

This would definitly be a great help for people new to Poly/ML. When I
had to produce a standalone executable from an ML-file it took me quite
some time before figuring out how it works.

> Actually it's probably not much more than
>    polyml --use myprogram.ML --use export.ML
> Where export.ML is
>    PolyML.export("polyml.o", main);
>    OS.Process.exit OS.Process.success: unit;

Make the name of the resulting obj file a parameter and it's fine, I
think. Could look like (shell script):

polyml --use myprogram.ML <<EOF
PolyML.export("${output}", main);
EOF

Perhaps one can also pour in the gcc-compile phase already, so it's one
step from ML-file to executable.

- René

--
René Neumann