I am trying to understand my options for using Poly/ML on MinGW for building
windows applications coded in Standard ML.

There is a bug reported in http://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/2043/ that you
have to work around to build Poly/ML with the current MinGW. The work-around is
to run configure with CXXFLAGS="-D_GLIBCXX_HAVE_FENV_H=1” in the environment.
(I suspect I should also throw -O3 in there too, as I think that setting
CXXFLAGS replaces its initial setting of -O3 inside the makefiles. Is that
right?)

Having got Poly/ML to compile, I found that polyc gives errors like the
following when asked to compile a source file:

gcc.exe: error: C:/DOCUME~1/rda/LOCALS~1/Temp/polyobj.2724.obj: No such file or
directory

If I create an object file from the Poly/ML GUI using PolyML.export, polyc will
link it. If I understand what is going on correctly, the resulting program is a
Windows application that brings up the Poly/ML GUI to provide the standard
input, output and error channels,  unless it is run with standard input and
output connected to pipes, in which case it works like a pipe. I think I may
end up having to package the Standard ML parts of my application as a server,
with the GUI provided by clients implemented in some other language. Are there
any other options?

Regards,

Rob.