http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/html/20050306T190000-0500_76411_OBS_FRAIL_BUT_ALERT__POPE_REAPPEARS_AT_HOSPITAL_WINDOW_TO_BLESS_THE_FAITHFUL.asp

http://tinyurl.com/4pc7r

Frail but alert, pope reappears at hospital window to bless the faithful

AP
Monday, March 07, 2005

ROME (AP) - A frail Pope John Paul II reappeared yesterday at a window of the
hospital treating him for his latest health crisis, giving the world its second
glimpse of him since he was rushed back to the clinic with breathing trouble 11
days ago.

Wearing his white vestments, the 84 year-old pope waved and made the sign of
the cross to more than 500 cheering and weeping pilgrims who gathered in the
damp chill at a small square with a view of his 10th-floor suite at Rome's
Gemelli Polyclinic hospital.

The pope looked alert as he sat behind the closed window, repeatedly raising
his arms to bless the crowd, but he did not speak during the brief three-minute
appearance.

John Paul has been undergoing breathing and speech therapy at the clinic a few
kilometres (miles) from the Vatican after undergoing surgery on February 24 to
insert a breathing tube in his windpipe.

"He speaks through his suffering," Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, a German who runs
a powerful Vatican office that deals with issues of Catholic doctrine, told
Italy's RAI television.

With the pope able to say only a few words with difficulty, the Vatican tapped
Archbishop Leonardo Sandri - an Argentine from the Holy See's secretary of
state office who has become the pope's official voice for the public - to again
read out the Sunday prayer known as the Angelus and deliver the blessing to
believers gathered at St Peter's.

"Again today I would like to renew my expression of gratitude for all those
signs of affection that have reached me," the pope said in a greeting read out
by Sandri.

"I am thinking, in particular, of the numerous cardinals, priests and groups of
faithful, of ambassadors and of the ecumenical delegations that have come to
the Gemelli Polyclinic in these days," John Paul's message said.

"I desire to give special recognition for the closeness of believers of other
religions, chiefly Jews and Muslims. Some of them have wanted to come and pray
here at the hospital. This for me is a comforting sign, for which I give thanks
to God."

Enthusiastic Catholics danced on St Peter's Square as the pope was shown on a
giant video screen.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/WwRTUD/SOnJAA/i1hLAA/wpWolB/TM

"[M]y ministry is that of servus servorum Dei."
--Pope John Paul II (Ut Unum Sint, no. 88)

"And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock
I will build my church, and the powers of death
shall not prevail against it."
--Matthew 16:18
Yahoo! Groups Links