In a message dated 4/17/2005 11:47:39 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
People wanting
to enter the priesthood are winding down.
For those who might be interested, I would strongly recommend reading "Conclave," by John Allen.  One of the issues Allen states the new pope will need to confront is the declining number of priests, and the growing role of laity.  In fact, if the decline in priests continues at its present rate, Allen states that by 2010, there may be the necessity of shutting down 6700 American parishes for lack of priests.  Right now, I believe the average is just over 1.7 priests per parish -- and that number is dropping significantly.

Allen's book is very readable and highly informative, and I would recommend it to everyone for a basic understanding of the College of Cardinals, the Conclave, and the issues facing the next pontiff.

Best,
Matt Rhodes

"[M]y ministry is that of servus servorum Dei."
--Pope John Paul II (Ut Unum Sint, no. 88)

"And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock
I will build my church, and the powers of death
shall not prevail against it."
--Matthew 16:18

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Children International