Pope drops papal crown from coat of arms, adds miter, pallium

By Carol Glatz
Catholic News Service

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- The papal crown has been given the boot once again,
this time no longer appearing as part of the new pope's coat of arms.

Pope Benedict XVI has dispensed with the image of the three-tiered tiara
that traditionally appeared at the top of each pope's coat of arms and
replaced it with the pointed miter.

The pope also has added the pallium, the woolen stole symbolizing a
bishop's authority, to the elements surrounding the shield.

The details of the new papal blazon were published in the April 28 edition
of the Vatican newspaper, L'Osservatore Romano. A copy was released April
27 to journalists.

"Benedict XVI has chosen a coat of arms that is rich in symbolism and
meaning, so as to put his personality and his papacy in the hands of
history," said Italian Archbishop Andrea Cordero Lanza di Montezemolo, an
expert on heraldry and creator of Benedict XVI's new insignia.

"For at least the past eight centuries, popes have had their own personal
coats of arms in addition to the symbols of the Apostolic See," the
archbishop said in the Vatican newspaper.

While each papal shield is unique, the elements surrounding it had more or
less remained the same for centuries -- until now.

Gone is the beehive-shaped crown whose actual use in important ceremonies
was abandoned during the papacy of Paul VI. For Pope Benedict's ensign,
the more modest and recognizable miter has taken its place.

But the silver miter has three gold stripes to mirror the symbolism of the
papal tiara's three tiers: "order, jurisdiction and magisterum," said
Archbishop Cordero Lanza di Montezemolo, who had served as an apostolic
nuncio for more than 20 years.

A vertical gold band connects the three stripes in the middle "to indicate
their unity in the same person," he said.

Another novelty is the addition of the white pallium with black crosses
draped below the shield.

"It indicates the (bishop's) role of being pastor of the flock entrusted
to him by Christ," wrote Archbishop Cordero Lanza di Montezemolo.

What has not changed and has been part of papal emblems for centuries is
the Holy See's insignia of two crossed keys, which symbolize the powers
Christ gave to the Apostle Peter and his successors. The gold key on the
right represents the power in heaven and the silver key on the left
indicates the spiritual authority of the papacy on earth. The cord that
unites the two keys alludes to the bond between the two powers.

Nestled on top of the keys lies the unique shield of Pope Benedict, which
is based on his coat of arms as archbishop of Munich and Freising,
Germany, and is particularly rich in personal and spiritual symbolism,
wrote Archbishop Cordero Lanza di Montezemolo.

The shield is divided into three sections -- each of which has its own
symbol.

The central element on a red background is a large gold shell that has
theological and spiritual significance for the pope, the archbishop said.
The shell recalls a legend in which St. Augustine came across a boy on the
seashore who was scooping water from the sea and pouring it into a small
hole he had dug in the sand.

When the saint pondered this seemingly futile activity, it struck him as
analogous to limited human minds trying to understand the infinite mystery
of the divine.

"The shell reminds me of my great master Augustine, of my theological
work, and of the vastness of the mystery which surpasses all our
learning," wrote then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger in his 1997 autobiography
"Milestones, Memoirs: 1927-1977."

Also, Archbishop Cordero di Montezemolo wrote that the shell has long
symbolized the pilgrim, "a symbolism Benedict XVI wants to keep alive"
after Pope John Paul II, "the great pilgrim."

The shell is also present in the coat of arms of the Schotten monastery in
Regensburg, Germany, to which the pope "feels very spiritually close," the
archbishop said.

The upper left-hand section of the shield depicts a brown-faced Moor with
red lips, crown and collar; it is a symbol of the former Diocese of
Freising dating back to the eighth century.

Though it is not known why the Moor came to represent Freising, the pope
said for him "it is an expression of the universality of the church which
knows no distinctions of race or class since all are one in Christ," he
said in his book, "Milestones."

Finally, a brown bear loaded with a pack on his back lumbers up the upper
right-hand section of the shield.

The bear is tied to an old Bavarian legend about the first bishop and
patron saint of the Diocese of Freising, St. Corbinian. According to the
legend, when the saint was on his way to Rome, a bear attacked and killed
his horse. St. Corbinian punished the bear by making him carry the saint's
belongings the rest of the way to Rome.

Archbishop Cordero Lanza di Montezemolo said the bear symbolizes the beast
"tamed by the grace of God," and the pack he is carrying symbolizes "the
weight of the episcopate."

The pope said in his 1997 autobiography: "Meanwhile, I have carried my
pack to Rome and wander for some time now through the streets of the
Eternal City. When release will come I cannot know. What I do know is that
I am God's pack animal, and, as such, close to him."

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/WwRTUD/SOnJAA/i1hLAA/wpWolB/TM

"[M]y ministry is that of servus servorum Dei."
--Pope John Paul II (Ut Unum Sint, no. 88)

"And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock
I will build my church, and the powers of death
shall not prevail against it."
--Matthew 16:18
Yahoo! Groups Links