Ryan Ignatius Pratt is sending this message
----------------------------------

ZENIT News Agency, The World Seen from Rome

Russian Pilgrims Visit John Paul II's Tomb
Launch Year Dedicated to Pope's Memory

MOSCOW, MAY 16, 2005 (Zenit.org).- The first group of pilgrims from Russia
since the death of John Paul II will visit Rome, paying homage to the Pope who
never realized his desire to visit their country.

"John Paul II did not manage to come to Moscow and now we will go to him," said
Archbishop Tadeusz Kondrusiewicz to Asianews.

The archbishop of the Mother of God in Moscow, who is leading the group of 40
pilgrims, explained that it was the laity that came up with the initiative:
"They persistently asked me to organize the trip, which we did not manage to do
in time for the funeral because of logistical timing."

"The date of the trip is not a coincidence: I chose May 18 because it's John
Paul II's birthday," he added.

The high point of the pilgrimage will be Wednesday, when the pilgrims will
attend a Mass at the tomb of St. Peter, and later pray at John Paul II's tomb.

"We will also be present at Wednesday's Audience, and we will see Benedict XVI
for the first time," the archbishop said.

The Russian prelate revealed the gratitude Russian Catholics have toward
Benedict XVI for speeding up the beatification process of his predecessor:
"Right after the unexpected news about the start of the canonization process,
dozens and dozens of faithful came to the cathedral to pray and to participate
in mass."

He added that May 18 will mark the beginning of a year dedicated to the memory
of John Paul II in Russian dioceses. "There are a number of activities on our
program: a circulating photographic exhibition, conferences, and the
publication of those books of Karol Wojtyla which have not yet been translated
into Russian."

The archbishop said that Russian Catholics feel a strong bond with the Pope who
"did so much for Russia," but whose dream to visit Moscow never materialized
because of firm opposition from the Russian Orthodox Church and its accusations
of proselytism.

The atmosphere seems destined to change, he said. "Today the Orthodox Church is
much more open to dialogue."

Archbishop Kondrusiewicz said that he was confident that the "dream of Pope
John Paul will come true." His hopes are pinned on Benedict XVI, who is
appreciated by the Orthodox Church for his "solidity of faith and firm
positions in matters of doctrine, as in the centrality of Christ for example,
even when he was a cardinal."

This could be "one of the meeting points" between the two churches, he said.

The archbishop emphasized that in today's world, all are in "need of a shared
witness."

"Between globalization and existing conflicts, the position of the Christian
Church is nearly Shakespearean: 'to be or not to be.' To overcome it, there is
need of more friendly collaboration, a crucial step towards possible unity," he
said.

ZE05051624

For reprint permission, please contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Visit our web page at http://www.zenit.org/

SEND US YOUR NEWS:
Please send press releases, statements and other information to our
international news desk at:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Copyright (c) - Innovative Media, Inc.

 You can send this news to a friend at the following link:
 http://www.zenit.org/english/send_friend/[EMAIL PROTECTED]&sid=71000

Would you Help a Child in need?
It is easier than you think.
Click Here to meet a Child you can help.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sTR6_D/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/wpWolB/TM

"[M]y ministry is that of servus servorum Dei."
--Pope John Paul II (Ut Unum Sint, no. 88)

"And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock
I will build my church, and the powers of death
shall not prevail against it."
--Matthew 16:18
Yahoo! Groups Links