Hmm. I think it doesnt work that easily. Actually, I'm trying to build a static pdf2svg which users poppler in turn. I tried to follow your advice and installed libcairo-dev, libopenjp2-7-dev, libjpeg-dev, etc. and then simply compiled poppler with -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF. When I subsequently tried to compile pdf2svg as static with the static poppler I get:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libpoppler-glib.a(CairoFontEngine.cc.o): undefined reference to symbol 'FT_Library_Version' /usr/bin/ld: //usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line

I think the reason is that I actually must compile every single contributing library that is used by poppler as fully static beforehand instead of just installing them with apt, right?