On Mar 8, 2008, at 12:02 PM, Wayne Davison wrote:

I think it would be nice to allow an equal to separate a short option
letter from its abutting argument. e.g. these commands using the test1
executable would all work the same:

 ./test1 -2 foo
 ./test1 -2=foo
 ./test1 -2foo
 ./test1 --arg2 foo
 ./test1 --arg2=foo

Since this has been a syntax error in released versions of popt, this
should not cause a compatibility problem.  This fix requires my prior
patch to make sure that short-option parsing doesn't have longArg set.

I think the patch is a reasonable extension, but there's more to do:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] popt]$ make check
make  check-TESTS
make[2]: Entering directory `/X/src/popt'
Running tests in /X/src/popt
Running test test1 - 1.
Running test test1 - 2.
Running test test1 - 3.
Running test test1 - 4.
Running test test1 - 5.
Running test test1 - 6.
Running test test1 - 7.
Running test test1 - 8.
Running test test1 - 9.
Test "test1 -2 foo" failed with: "arg1: 0 arg2: rest: foo" != "arg1: 0 arg2: foo"

Would you mind looking at the problem? Thanks ...

73 de Jeff
POPT Library                                           http://rpm5.org
Developer Communication List                       popt-devel@rpm5.org