On Jun 5, 2010, at 12:48 PM, Wayne Davison wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Jeff Johnson <n3...@mac.com> wrote:
> but
>        --foo bar
> returns bar in the argument list?
>
> Yes.  The user may well have wanted it to be in the arg list.  There's no way
> for the program to know that the user didn't just toss some options in the
> middle of some args (which I do all the time these days, like starting my
> rsync source/dest args, and then tossing in a --remove-source-files,
> --backup, or what-not at wherever I am in the list), so I wouldn't want to
> see an error for something like this:
>
> rsync -aiv --del file --remove-source-args some/dir host:/dest/dir
>
> ... just because --del doesn't take an arg.
>
> The other way to "fix" the error is to morph "--foo=bar" behavior to be
> identical to "--foo bar", i.e. an extra argument failure.
>
> I don't see how that would work for something like rsync that takes any
> number of command-line args outside the options.

Well determistic behavior "works", just not very useful ;-) I'm not
arguing, just there's issues like POSIX_ME_HARDER that get factored
into "--foo=bar" error handling, all mind numbingly tedious.

Your patch is likely what I will add, I'm a very lazy schmuck.

> Anything you want to see in POPT 2.0? I'm collecting features ...
>
> A couple ideas off the top of my head:
> An incrementing option -- repeated use adds 1 to the variable instead of
> setting it to the same value.

How about a full blown RPN calculator to handle not just increment/decrement,
but all arithmetic operations, on option values. infix <-> postfix just isn't
that hard, and the whole
mess is just a teensy stack and a switch.

I've got several RPN calculators floating around in RPM code these days that
could
be dropped into POPT without any effort whatsoever. Nor is a RPM calculator very
hard to implement.
> Multiple long names separated by "|" in the long-name string (though that
> could really just be defined as an alias, it might be nice to auto-gen the
> alias).

There's already Bloom filters fin POPT 1.16 for opaquely handling multiple
option value strings
(the "bar" in "--foo bar"). That partly addresses the need for fewer popt table
entries/aliases/execs.
(aside)
The usage case is for RPM which has >100 hash algorithm names buried into popt
tables,
and I need to collapse down to a single popt table entry for my own maintenance
sanity.

Full pattern matching, either *RE or fnmatch(3), would not be hard. The pdksh
extensions
to fnmatch globs would handle your specific alternation request.

And POPT is already linking fnmatch(3).

If you have any other RFE's just drop a note here ... and blame Rusty Russell
for encouraging POPT 2.0 ;-)

73 de Jeff