Hi,
A bit of a late reply, because I didn't notice this thread earlier.
It looks like there was an Exim port in OpenBSD for the past ~30 years
(I found a commit in 1997 and 1999 next); since it's maybe "the most
popular (open source) MTA" (likely because Debian shipped it by default)
I assume it's in use by a (at least) few users: myself included.
I'm not normally watching the ports mailinglist I must admit. I
inspected the ports in the past, and actually found that exim was quite
well maintained (fixes came in faster compared to other distributions),
and thus relied on it. Now I looked again for the upgrade to 4.99.2, and
noticed the port was gone (!) and this conversation.
With this thread I realize there was a conversation years ago. For me as
a user it comes completely without warning that the port disappears just
hours after this mail, and there was no warning at install/upgrade time
of the port or anything. I'm a bit afraid the decision is made even just
before a new release, and with that we don't even have time to discuss
about it: be it good or bad. (After a release would make a bit more
sense to me.)
I understand we all (fortunately) care about security, and that Exim
could do better in comparison with alternatives, and that it is setuid
root. So far I think they did always publish patches anyway, and do
better than some other software. I myself didn't expect OpenBSD ports to
be a security seal either: I think the base system is ;-) but migrating
to other MTAs isn't just always an option. It's not I want insecure
software; it's not necessarily inbound listening either; there's a lot
of arguments one can think of.
I'm not sure if there's an option to reconsider, but I would love to
keep exim available in OpenBSD ports,
Regards,
Paul
On 15/04/2026 12:26, Stuart Henderson wrote:
Since we're coming up to release (where we have to maintain it for
another 6 months), I thought I'd revisit this. History of security
issues + setuid root is a terrible combo.
Are there any strong reasons to keep exim in ports?
If not, ok to remove?
----- Forwarded message from Stuart Henderson <[email protected]> -----
From: Stuart Henderson <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2024 15:13:40 +0100
Subject: Re: exim SIGSEGV on TLS connections on latest amd64 snapshot
On 2024/08/19 15:26, Theo Buehler wrote:
<snip>
While it is impossible to be sure where exactly the bug lies, it sure
looks as if exim had another pretty bad bug in a release. The diff
doesn't show much information since it's mostly pointless churn.
I think it is about time to seriously consider removing exim from the
ports tree for good.
That would be OK with me. Of course people can still fetch from the
Attic and build themselves if they really need it, but the extra
steps needed for that (+ OS updates) will increase the motivation
to port the config across to another MTA.
<snip>
----- End forwarded message -----
---------------------
PatchSet 215
Date: 2025/12/18 21:39:26
Author: tb
Branch: HEAD
Tag: (none)
Log:
Security update to exim 4.99.1 from maintainer
1. Incomplete SQL injection fix - CVE-2025-26794's patch doesn't escape single
quotes
2. Heap buffer overflow - Unvalidated database field used as array bound (NEW)
https://code.exim.org/exim/exim/src/commit/d46a6727798fc48d1756190a6d46d19216348c25/doc/doc-txt/exim-security-2025-12-09.1/report.txt
Is it finally time to take this behind the barn?
Members:
Makefile:1.156->1.157
distinfo:1.52->1.53
---------------------