Hello,

Find attached a slightly updated version of the chrony 4.9 port.

No functional change but I moved the rc.d script from folder 'files' and using 'post-install' to the proper place in 'pkg' where it gets installed automagically.

As Atanas, I'd be happy if it could be merged with ports or I'd make changes if such would be necessary.

/Thomas

On 30.08.2026 08:07, Thomas Kupper wrote:
Good Morning,

A few days ago chrony 4.9 was released with support for OpenBSD including pledge(2) support and support for refclock driver for OpenBSD timedelta sensors.

I'd very much welcome feedback and testing of chrony.

For anyone not knowing what chrony is used for, here a short introduction:

chrony is a versatile implementation of the Network Time Protocol (NTP). It can synchronise the system clock with NTP servers, reference clocks (e.g. GPS receiver), and manual input using wristwatch and keyboard. It can also operate as an NTPv4 (RFC 5905) server and peer to provide a time service to other computers in the network.

The news about 4.9 (and previous versions) can be found at :
     https://chrony-project.org/news.html

Find attached the OpenBSD ports archive for it.

It run under the user _chrony which would have to be added to the user.list beforehand with user ID 906, the lowest unused ID as of today/2026-08-30.

---
diff -us infrastructure/db/user.list{.orig,}
--- infrastructure/db/user.list.orig    Sun Aug 30 07:49:54 2026
+++ infrastructure/db/user.list    Sun Aug 30 07:49:15 2026
@@ -414,3 +414,4 @@
  903 _iaxmodem        _iaxmodem    telephony/iaxmodem
  904 _neighbot        _neighbot    net/neighbot
  905 _pgweb        _pgweb        www/pgweb
+906 _chrony        _chrony        net/chrony
---

The archive's content corresponds to tag 4.9 on my git repo
https://git.sr.ht/~patient0/chrony-OpenBSD-ports

A note regarding dependencies:

- it links against gnutls and nettle. On -current gnutls links against
   nettle 4 (security/nettle) and that is how this port is setup at the
   moment.
   On OpenBSD < 8.0 gnutls links against nettle 3, named
   security/libnettle. If one wants to compile chrony for OpenBSD < 8.0
   you would have to change the Makefile accordingly.
   Does it make sense to adapt the Makefile to handle this situation or
   is handling -current only recommended?


Have an excellent Sunday
/Thomas

On 28.08.2026 12:06, Thomas Kupper wrote:

Atanas Vladimirov wrote on 28.08.2026 11:43:
On 2026-07-18 08:54, Thomas Kupper wrote:
Atanas Vladimirov wrote on 16.07.2026 11:46:
On 2026-07-14 19:28, Thomas Kupper wrote:
Atanas Vladimirov wrote on 13.07.2026 14:30:
On 2026-02-03 16:06, Thomas Kupper wrote:
On 03.02.2026 13:48, Stuart Henderson wrote:
i'd be happier about having this in ports if the diffs supporting
openbsd were upstream, rather than coming from a fork.

Sure, that makes sense. I'll see if I can get into upstream.

/Thomas


Hey Thomas,

Thanks for your work on chrony port for OpenBSD.
I was very pleased to find you work and I'm testing your initial port more than a month now :)

Glad it is of interest for you. Shaun Ren (https://github.com/ shaunren/chrony) is the original author, btw.

Yes, I know that the cudos should go to Shaun Ren as the owner of the changes :). I also tracked your efforts to find/contact him.



Also, I found that the OpenBSD support was already merged into chrony gitlab repo and I suppose that it will be
part of the next chrony release, right?

I would think so, yes. Miroslav is the maintainer and will decide I assume.

Yes, let's see when the new chrony version (with OpenBSD support) will pop up. Then, I suppose that you will make/send a new port version and hopefully, it will get merged officially, right?

I will send a new port when 4.9 with OpenBSD is released, yep. We will see if gets accepted.

/Thomas


Hey Thomas,

Good news, chrony-4.9 has been released :)
(https://chrony-project.org/news.html)

I saw it, yes, had update my repo for RC1. I'll get around to update the port and post it here in the next few days.

It includes two major changes:

- Add support for OpenBSD
- Add refclock driver for OpenBSD timedelta sensors

Once again thank you for you time and effort making this possible :)

Best wishes,
Atanas

Attachment: chrony-4.9.tar.gz
Description: GNU Zip compressed data

Reply via email to