Tl;dr: Please include a sentence about how to document licenses and branches.


Some perspective from a reader of the ports guide.

Recently, I updated my port:
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=178989586150156&w=2

It uses quite a few git submodules, most of them have tags, but one
of them was referenced only as a branch. And they all had different
licenses.

Since I am a sucker for clean documentation (to make it easier for the
next guy), I wanted to be able to comment in the Makefile

- That a certain submodule (DIST_TUPLE line), is using license X.
- That the long hash is referencing to branch Y, with timestamp Z.

For sure, this information can be found by checking out the sub-repo,
and reading the git log... However, if you guys could include a
sentence like "Please comment the license, branch and timestamp in the
line above DIST_TUPLE" or "Add a comment with the license, branch and
timestamp to the end of the DIST_TUPLE" it would go a long way.

(My solution was the latter one.)



Thank you!

Reply via email to