On 2/20/24 06:13, Jamie Landeg-Jones wrote:
Mark Millard <mark...@yahoo.com> wrote:

It probably should be separate from this topic, but I'd interested
to understand some example types of changes folks make for which
poudriere prevents the changes from working but for which portmaster
use or make use allows the change to work.

I've many changes, nothing that would upset poudriere though.

I've probably grasped the wrong ideas from this thread. I thought it was
about the implied effective deprecation of the ports infrastructure for
a binary package only structure, with poudriere being used to create
custom packages in any way it wants going forward.

If pordriere continues to build via the make system we have already,
then I can't see any issue.

What's the reasoning behind people claiming a shift from "make install"
to poudriere is necessary?

I don't consider it necessary, but building in a clean environment is desirable to minimize issues and maximize uptime. Some ports will fail to build or install when certain other packages have been installed; proper solution is to open a PR to get such cases identified and resolved. I'd go as far as to say a port should be marked as incompatible with itself if it uses already installed tools from an older version of the port or from a non-dependent package in place of ones that were built in the port's work directory as I have had builds fail doing an x86-x64 rebuild+reinstall step without first removing them (likely to be unsupported) and when trying to perform a general upgrade of an installed package/port (should be supported). Fixing the port's build system would be much more desirable to marking it as incompatible with itself but if a condition is detected where builds can go wrong then it is better to mark it as broken than let the user fail trying. In the past, I have reported such breakages and even when pkg-plist needed to be conditionally altered if something was already installed and maintainers addressed the issues accordingly. Dynamic dependency testing that a port's build system does should be changed to be manually fed a list of dependencies based on port options or the dependencies can be unconditionally added to avoid surprises that people get building a port on a clean machine vs one with an optional dependency already installed; it isn't 'necessary' but creates better conditions for packages to always match what a user could get and gives everyone less surprises. I have had other issues in the past by old remaining files from bad pkg-plist leaving things behind, unclean work directories (I hope this is not why the workdir is currently a version dependent folder; that practice needs to stop to greatly improve ccache results), and dependencies getting out of sync if port versions were not properly recursively bumped. When it comes to upgrades, a clean build environment is superior. Software often won't work when an upgrade has been partially performed which can break on the first run/lib dependency and isn't usable until the port itself is rebuilt after. That leads to a downtime of hours to days depending on how much work the machine has to do to do an update. If the upgrade fails partway through, software may continue to be unavailable until a port is fixed or downgraded to a previously unbroken version if no older package was saved to reinstall. Recursive dependency version bumping has had issues. As for my use, I'm a desktop user currently on older hardware and have felt my own pain learning how to try to use poudriere with it. Wonder if thigns have changed because 13-stable feels more painful than I remember when CPU gets heavily loaded by idprio'd processes. Poudriere's defaults are not sane for a modern desktop user but I do not have a 'good' non-manual fix until we start recording various build requirement details into ports themselves (which is an idea needing its own topic).

Cheers, Jamie