On 2024-04-04 03:43, Michael Gmelin wrote:
On 4. Apr 2024, at 09:31, Chris <portmas...@bsdforge.com> wrote:

I do all of my development in jails. As such I have no use for poudriere(8).
But an attempt to build editors/vscode threw the following:

The limit imposed by poudriere(8) for the maximum number of files allowed to be
opened by a jail (default 1024) is exceeded during the build of vscode.
To successfully build vscode with poudriere(8), you must add the following
line to poudriere.conf:
MAX_FILES_vscode=8192

This message is coming from here and is shown unconditionally:

https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/tree/editors/vscode/Makefile#n184

It is not an error message, it tells you what to configure when building that port
with poudriere. If you dislike it, please suggest better wording to the port
maintainer.
It *appears* (from the message) that poudriere would be building the package.
Not make(1) within the ports framework within my already created/running jail.
Maybe omit the "limit imposed by poudriere(8)" portion from the message?
Which, I guess is moot. Now that the limit appears to have been increased.

What the... I just want to build a package. Why do I care about poudriere
limitations, or poudriere at all? How can I just build a package. Users
(or Maintainers) aren't forced to use poudriere, are they?

Even though poudriere is probably not your problem here, learning how to use
poudriere effectively would be time well spent.
Indeed. As a maintainer, I do attempt to stay abreast of any changes regrding
poudriere. This error appeared to be a new change, which brought me to inquire
here. :)

Thanks for taking the time to help, Michael! :)

-m

--
--Chris Hutchinson