On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 11:28:23PM +0200, Andreas Vögele wrote:
> Marc Espie writes:

> >What did you use to conduct your tests and assert that automake 1.9
> >does not work with /usr/bin/m4 ?

> A couple of months ago I tried to built the CVS version of Guile, the
> GNU project's Scheme interpreter.  Since Guile CVS requires automake
> 1.9 I created my own automake port.  But the configure scripts that I
> created under OpenBSD were broken.  I tracked this problem down to
> issues with m4.  I didn't analyze these issues since I don't know
> much about m4.  I assumed that automake 1.9 uses GNU extensions to
> m4.  Anyway, after I modified the autoconf port to depend on GNU m4
> the configure scripts were built correctly.

> Also, if you build autoconf 2.59 with GNU m4 instead of /usr/bin/m4
> most of the automake 1.9 regression tests will succeed.  If I
> remember right, one or two tests which require libtool still fail,
> but these failures aren't caused by m4.

> BTW, I don't whether Guile CVS still can be build on OpenBSD.  I sent
> the Guile maintainers several patches but every other week Guile was
> broken again.  Someone seems to put a lot of effort into making sure
> that Guile only builds under Linux/i386 ;-)

> >In particular, what version of OpenBSD ?

> 3.5, probably 3.6 too.

Okay, next time, please provide this kind of information directly.
It helps, A LOT.

If you care to investigate, you'll notice quite a few commits to OpenBSD m4
since OpenBSD 3.5. And guess what ? most of them have been to fix autoconf
behavior. And guess what ? the ports tree tracks OpenBSD-current, not
OpenBSD 2.0...

What you've done here is send people on a red herring's chase. I spent some
time looking at that automake port, and figuring out why tests were wrong.
Luckily, I noticed the gnumake checks, instead of embarking on autoconf
tests.

OpenBSD improves all the time. You've actually stumbled on some of the
areas where problems have already been fixed.

Providing bug-reports without a mention of what version you're using are
completely worthless, and a waste of valuable time...