* Chuck Robey [2005-10-07]:
> OpenBSD complained vociferously about pre-existing files for those two
> (they did pre-exist) and I didn't know how to tell the system to accept
> what I gifted it.  I sure wish there was some way to tell the system
> that it doesn't need to be the sole and only source of all software.

The ports tree is the only source of all software, that exists as a port
*and* is needed by another port. This will never change (for some
sensible value of 'never' ;).  If you have software that is not ported
*or* which no other port depends on, there is no problem installing
that on your own, of course.

> I really think you ought to consider allowing folks to be able to
> loosen up on the so strict ports control of files.  It's (if this
> continues like this) going to force me away from all use of ports, if
> it's won;t let me do anything of my own.

You clearly don't understand the issues involved. What is the problem
with installing ports/packages?

Nikolay