On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 08:56:00PM -0400, Josh Grosse wrote:
> Any suggestions as to what I should be looking for?

I think I found the trouble.  Even though my /usr filesystem had been marked
"clean" an fsck -fp showed hundreds of damaged files and directories.  I
restored from backup, did an update from a recent snapshot, then updated
from a local cvs mirror, and rebuilt *everything*.

I've no idea what could have caused the trouble.  smartctl showed no i/o
errors, and there has been nothing visible in logs.