On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 12:04:15AM +0100, Marc Espie wrote:
The idea is to add some v* suffix each time the numbering scheme changes.

Okay.

Some comments:
- we still need the p* stuff to denote OpenBSD specific changes.

Yes.

- v* versions mean we can go backwards. If we find a security issue,
and we have to go back from foo-2.0 to foo-1.9, then we just bump v* so
that it becomes foo-1.9v0, which is higher than foo-2.0...

Yes.  Or if vendor numbering does strange things, although OpenBSD has
been good at straightening these out in the past.

The main objection you can have is that this is too complicated, but so
far, we haven't been able to find any hole in that scheme...

Opinions ?

I believe you'll find FreeBSD uses '_' where OpenBSD currently uses
'p', and ',' where you're planning on 'v'.  It seems to work for them.

So this has already been found useful, and has a working precedent.

... just as long as the numbering doesn't get so arcane you need a
silly dohickey to compare version numbers, like the one in glibc ...

+1 more vote of thanks for really good work on pkg_* - some of us have
noticed

--
Christopher Vance