Can we please cut patrick some slack? I Googled, I followed the
offensive link that was suggested, and I searched the archives of
several OpenBSD mailing lists, and there is indeed nothing that
obviously points out what's wrong with strcmp. I can very well imagine
patrick did the same thing and decided just to ask.

Also, please keep in mind that people who are trying to contribute to
the project in one way or another may not be as willing to do so if you
fling this kind of offense at them. Everybody makes mistakes; it's not
like patrick was purposefully trying to waste anyone's time.

In the meantime, we're a few posts down the road from the original
question, and I haven't seen any answer; neither on the list, nor on the
Net. I suppose it has something to do with strcmp continuing to compare
until it finds a char with value 0, but I can think of many situations
where this wouldn't occur (it certainly shouldn't be an issue if all
strings are always 0-terminated).

So, I second patrick's question, and I would ask that someone either
answer the question or provide a link to an answer. If it is indeed such
a frequently asked question, it shouldn't be too hard to find a FAQ
entry or mailing list post that answers it, right?

Cheers,

Bob