Ian McWilliam wrote:
Not really the port needs fixing some what. Try the attached tar ball.

The port now creates a group _akpop3d and the lock files writable by the _akpop3d group. You will need to make /var/mail group writable, leave the permissons on /var/mail as root:wheel (the default).
The command line I've used for simple testing is

/usr/local/sbin/akpop3d -d -s -c /etc/ssl/server.crt -k /etc/ssl/ private/server.key

Ian McWilliam

Sorry, I just noticed this thread. I'm the maintainer.
There really is a problem with the group handling in this port, and I think Ian's approach is right. This was my first attempt at making a port and I guess the edges are a bit rough...

I don't really have the time anymore to maintain this port, and don't use it anymore, which makes things harder, so I'll relinquish ownership if anyone is willing to handle it.

On a more general note, I found that the code in akpop3d is not the prettiest thing around. If you look at the patches in my port, you'll see that in several places they make it log errors, whereas the original code would just ignore non-zero return codes on calls such as getgrnam("mail"). I contributed a bunch of patches to the original author over a year ago, but he hasn't released anything since then.

Maxime