Eric Faurot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > After I can now reproduce this locally (X11 in 8bpp mode plus going
> > through ssh -X):  This is not a fix.  It prevents the segfault, but
> > badly screws up the display with other GTK applications.  See
> > gtk-demo, for instance.
>
> Could you please test (current cairo, not with the suggested fix) using
> "ssh -Y" instead of -X?

That doesn't reproduce the problem, so it's beside the point.

Kettenis has figured out that what matters is whether you have a
TrueColor/DirectColor visual or not.  Check with xdpyinfo(1).  That
is a problem at least for macppc with X11 on wsfb.  It turns out
not to be a problem for local X11 clients e.g. on my laptop with
the ati driver in 8bpp mode, so depending on the X11 drivers involved
your simply setting your display to 8bpp might not be sufficient
to see the problem.  In that case, the combination of a default
PseudoColor visual in 8bpp *and* limiting the X11 client to untrusted
operations is required.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]