Hello,

On Wed, 08.02.2006 at 16:51:12 +1100, Ian McWilliam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 8 Feb 2006, at 12:00 PM, Arnaud Bergeron wrote:
> >On 2/7/06, Nikolay Sturm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>* Keith Richardson [2006-02-07]:
> >>
> >>In a network, having different UIDs for the same accounts is just
> >>calling for trouble. You really want a deterministic solution there.
> >
> >Also some apps have their uids compiled-in.  What would happen if
> >another port "stole" the uid because the one just before was taken (or
> >whatever the reason).
>
> This is poor software design. They should be looking up the uid or
> gid and not relying on a hard coded number.

that may well be, but must be catered for in the real world (imho).

I came across that same problem with the courier mail suite, and
decided to make a package as a build-depends for just this purpose,
which does nothing except creating that user id and her home.

This is sort of ugly, but the cleanest way I can think of atm.

I'm very interested in other ideas on this matter!

Best,
--Toni++