From the "give-him-enough-time-and-he'll-figure-it-out" department:

I just realized that the dependency on xvidcore is not needed:
xvidcore generates mpeg4 compliant streams (fourcc XviD), ffmpeg can
also generate mpeg4 compliant streams (fourcc DivX), and my iPod will
play either of them. I don't notice any difference in video quality on
the iPod, thus I removed the xvidcore dependency in favour of ffmpeg's
own mpeg4 codec.

While I was testing this, I got really annoyed by the malloc.h
warnings, so I made those go away too.

The sample command line for transcoding to your video ipod is now:

ffmpeg -vcodec mpeg4 -b 350 -qmax 10 -bufsize 4096 -g 300 -acodec aac
-ab 96 -ac 2 -i input.mpg -s 320x240 output.mp4

The resulting file can be loaded on to video ipods with audio/gtkpod.