On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 06:08:25PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Jack J. Woehr dixit:
>
> >     2) It's compressed on the dist cd's (look for ports.tgz and unzip in
> > /usr (UNLIKE src.tgz WHICH UNZIPS IN /usr/src WATCH YOUR REAR END ON THIS
> > LATTER ONE)
>
> In MirOS, the source tarballs unzip in / - all of them.
> Maybe OpenBSD wants to adopt this?
>
> //mirabile

Why? Developers and most porters i guess work hard to improve the
_package_ situation because that's the favoured way.

ports have so many disadvantages.
- Using the ports tree means that you have all stuff installed. There
  are lot's of whiners that cry: "why does $port-no_x11 require X?"
- Users modify stuff and bother ports@ with their questions. vlc-plugin
  + mozilla was the latest...
- Users have problems with make error messages and can't spot temporary
  problems
- It absolutly wastes time, because this ain't gentoo with USE flags.

What maybe would be a good idea is to ship a ports-tree-light version
that includes ports that can't be build as package for various reasons.
Dependencies should then be fetched from the package location and only
if not available, build from the port. I don't know if the ports system
is that far already.

Tobias