Hi,

I'm working through the porting checklist at
http://www.openbsd.org/checklist.html to try to get familiar with
creating a port.

I decided to start with something ultra simple: starting from the
net/nmap port as a template and simply modifying the version number to
compile the latest available version (I know: a no brainer -- I'm just
trying to go through the checklist and  see what each step does.

At step 20 in the checklist it says to perform a 'make install'.
However, as far as I understand it a while a 'make install ' implies
the 'fake' and 'package' targets, it does not imply the 'plist' one.
And from what I can tell trying to make a package without a proper
PLIST (it's still empty at this stage) ends up creating a mostly empty
package.

So at first glance it doesn't make sense to me to perform 'make
install' at step 20 if we're only going to make the PLIST at step 22
and and create the package at step 23.

At the same time I can't help but feel that the documentation is
probably correct and that I'm just not getting the point of how it's
all supposed to work.

Is anybody able to shed some light for me on that point?

Another small question concerning the 'plist' target: when reading the
bsd.port.mk(5) man page I noticed that there was no mention of 'plist'
as a target, only 'update-plist'. Are these two targets identical, or
is the 'plist' target considered obsolete (yet still works).

Thanks! :-)
-Martin

--
"Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names
the streets after them."

                                                  --Bill Vaughan