When playing either PrBoom or Chocolate Doom, they always crash when starting
DOOM 2 MAP02 or Ultimate DOOM E2M1. For PrBoom, I've tried both the packaged
version and the latest, 2.4.6, from source; for Chocolate Doom, I installed
0.1.4 from source. I have SDL's libraries installed from packages, I am
running OpenBSD/i386 3.9-release.

Internally, both engines are quite different; PrBoom being the spawn of Boom,
which was based on DOSDOOM (port back to MS-DOS), which was based on LxDoom
(the version id released in source form, for Linux). Chocolate Doom, striving
to be closest to the original MS-DOS DOOM 1.9 engines, instead had its
development branched off of the original LxDoom source release, in order to
immediately forget about feature bloat. It seems odd that both games have the
same crash, thusly.

Running in gdb, this is the result of Chocolate Doom crashing when attempting
to enter Episode 2 of Ultimate DOOM:

  [Switching to process 22344, thread 0x868e1000]
  0x072981c7 in _Mix_InitEffects () from /usr/local/lib/libSDL_mixer.so.3.0

I've no programming experience in C, and I also don't know for sure if this
report in GDB really means that SDL_mixer has a bug.

I've thought of trying a newer version of SDL, but I don't see any way to
remove the existing SDL packages without also removing things that depend on
it (though I suppose, they will need to be compiled again due to dynamic
linking troubles; and I wouldn't really care to spend hours doing so).

Any thoughts or solutions on this?