Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible to have multiple providers for a library
and then selecting one of them to be used, selecting which provider is
to be installed.
Case in point, we have the math/{lapack,blas} libraries, which are the
reference implementations and not optimized.
I am working on getting OpenBLAS built and ported, which can also
provide the libblas.so and liblapack.so (among other libraries).
It is ABI compatible with the latest BLAS/LAPACK standards so it should
ideally be a drop in replacement for the libraries for math/{lapack,blas}.
This way there is a significant runtime benefit for multiple science
libraries like numpy, scipy, eigen and a bunch of others.
This replacement mechanism is provided in Gentoo and Debian (and its
derivatives).
I don't think we can have the full replacement mechanism at runtime
due to the linking mechanism being different but it should at least
be possible during install time and relinking libraries.
I am not sure how to go about doing this in OpenBSD.

Is there any interest in doing this? I am hoping I can put something
together if people are interested in wanting OpenBLAS based libraries

Cheers,
Aisha